Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Roast ideas

amother

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 7:31 pm
I would like to buy a piece of meat for shabbos but cannot afford to spend a lot. I asked a friend (and phenomenal cook) what she suggests. She said a shoulder roast is fine... it's all about how you cook it.

I just had one question, other than shoulder roast (I don't know if the butcher will have it), what can I ask for? What are other cheaper cuts of meat?

Barbara

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 8:24 pm
We like the chuck roast, which is relatively inexpensive.

Remember that you need different cooking techniques for different cuts. Chuck needs to be cooked slow, in liquid. I season the meat with salt, pepper and garlic, then brown it. I then add broth (beef or onion flavor) to about half way up, and cook the meat at about 300 for ... well, for a long time.

You can also try a turkey roast. It's cheaper than beef, and quite tasty.

boruchhashem

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 8:26 pm
What I do lately, and it is yuuuummmmm, is, I buy either rib steak or minute steak, done it with both, spice it one one side, brown it in a little oil, till not much blood is coming out of it anymore. While it is browning one the first side, I spice the other side then flip it over to brown on the second side. When done, I transfer it to a baking pan, pour bar-b-q sauce all over it, cover and bake till done. It is both delicious and unbellievably soft. Enjoy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics