Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Help! how do I clean the inside of my crockpot??

myomi

Post Sun, Jul 03 2005, 10:15 pm
my cholent overflowed into the inner part of my crockpot(the metal part that holds the pot),,its all greasy and dirty,,any ideas how to get it clean?I cant put it in the sink b/c its part of an electrical element.please let me know,thanx!

RedVines

Post Sun, Jul 03 2005, 10:59 pm
Clorax soft scrub works like a gem!!! I used it on mine.

nicole81

Post Sun, Jul 03 2005, 11:01 pm
I use brillo (steel wool.) btw, do you line your crock pot with foil?

de_goldy

Post Sun, Jul 03 2005, 11:27 pm
Most people line it with foil cuz it's the easiest thing to use a 'blech' for the crockpot.

nicole81

Post Mon, Jul 04 2005, 1:36 pm
de_goldy wrote:
Most people line it with foil cuz it's the easiest thing to use a 'blech' for the crockpot.

you would think, but I actually never lined mine until 2 weeks ago when I read in my spice & spirit cookbook that you have to. it's funny because I thought of all my friends and none of them line theirs either. I don't know why, but none of us knew about it. I told my husband and even he had no clue.

Post Tue, Jul 05 2005, 5:05 pm
ask a shaila. there could be a problem of hatmana if you put foil in there. there are ways around the problem. but please make sure you're doing it right! I can't tell you what I do, because I have the crockpot that has a base, not an insert.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Jul 05 2005, 9:31 pm
If you want to return the cholent, you need the foil.

queenie

Post Tue, Jul 05 2005, 11:21 pm
Not all crock pots are the same. If you do have the kind that needs to be lined don't line it completely. You need to leave a hole in the foil where the heat comes through, that's usually in the center. Also, many people mistakingly line the pot right up the sides. That is halachically wrong bc you are then insulating the pot with foil. Only the bottom is a heat element not the sides so only cover the sides and leave a space for the heat.

buba123

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 10:05 am
They sell special plastic crockpot liners (kitchen collection - a jewish company). If they don't have it where you live, you can use reynolds oven bags - turkey size and then just cut it a bit (it's too long). Iv'e been using it for years. It's great! I throw it straight into the garbage and then let the pot soak in the sink with soap for a day. Then it's really easy to wash.

queen

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 10:14 am
I was using these crockpot bags buba speaks about but found they wouldn't hold up and the bag kept breaking each week.... so what was I gaining?

I now spray my crock pot VERY well with pam before adding the ingredients and water....... and surprisingly the stuff slides right out after shabbos. I still let it soak motzai shabbos, but by sunday it comes out of the dishwasher (almost) looking new.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Jul 06 2005, 10:05 pm
why is lining the entire thing insulating if the cover isn't covered?
Also, the heat comes from all sides, so shouldn't they be covered, as well?
Have you asked a Rov? if so, I guess I will ask mine cuz we have been covering the sides. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry