Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I have a question

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 9:42 pm
We all know were not allowed to do something on shabbos preparing for after shabbos. Such as to nap on shabbos for after shabbos or planning something on shabbos for after shabbos. So why are we allowed to eat special foods on shabbos so we can fast easier after shabbos?

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 9:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We all know were not allowed to do something on shabbos preparing for after shabbos. Such as to nap on shabbos for after shabbos or planning something on shabbos for after shabbos. So why are we allowed to eat special foods on shabbos so we can fast easier after shabbos?

You made a blanket statement which isn't necessarily true. I won't post any halachic statements in return because I dont know halacha well enough, but there is a good explanation. We also nap on Shabbos afternoon when motzei Shabbos is Seder night. one is permitted to walk to the end of a city's peramaters so that he can be closer to his destination for motzei Shabbos when he'll leave for a mitzvah for sure, perhaps also not for mitzvah (not sure). There are many more examples, but as I said I am not well versed so I don't want to continue. Just wanted to point out that it isn't really so.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 10:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I was wondering same.

MommyM

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 11:20 pm
You're allowed to nap on Shabbos for after Shabbos as long as you don't verbally specify that this is for after Shabbos. The nap could benefit you on Shabbos also. Here too, eating helps you feel satisfied on Shabbos too, but don't verbally specify that you're doing it for after Shabbos.

SmileNow

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 11:57 pm
One does not verbalize the reason. One may have in mind to sleep and eat for ulterior reasons as long as some enjoyment is for shabbos and shabbos is the only reason you verbalize or actively express.

dankbar

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 2:39 am
Depends on kavanah, you cant sleep on Shabbos for an event for after shabbos, but you could take a nap, and have in mind that its lkovod shabbos. Same I would think here, you can eat as much as you want, but your kavana should be as an oneg shabbos

dankbar

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 2:41 am
Also here its more of a respect for shabbos. Tisha Bav is on shabbos, but because of Shabbos we are not fasting then, instead we are eating

yerushamama

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 3:19 am
I was told that it is questionable to do something on Shabbos if the only reason you are doing it is because of something for after Shabbos. However, it is permissible to take post-Shabbos events into consideration when choosing between things that are Shabbosdik to do. For example, I enjoy drinking grape juice, which can help with making a fast easier, so I am allowed to drink it on Shabbos erev Tzom. Taking pele Tzom, on the other hand, has nothing to do with Shabbos, so one should ask a shaila about how to handle it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics