Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Registration fees for playgroup

iammom

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 10:17 pm
I’m wondering if there are any playgroup Morah’s (or moms who know) who can explain the registration fee idea to me.

I signed up my daughter at a playgroup “late” in the year - it must have been around July (I know it’s not late but where I’m from if you don’t have your kids signed up by Sukkos, it’s scramble to find someone Can't Believe It ).

The morah didn’t bother to send all the paperwork at the time, she said she’ll send it closer to the school year which was fine for me.

I get the paperwork last week, I fill out the form and mail it back to her. A few days later she texts me that she’s sorry but she forgot to include the paper that says there’s a $70 registration fee.

What exactly is this registration fee for?? There’s nothing special she’s doing now for him and it’s not like she reserved a slot for him for 10 months.
I’m not trying to be cheap, I’ll pay the fee and not make a big deal with her about it, but I’d love an idea why there’s this fee and how it’s justified.

alwayscooking

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 10:19 pm
I totally hear you!!! I just got my daughters playgroup papers and she is charging a $80 registration fee!! Trying to figure out for what???

notshanarishona

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 10:20 pm
So you won't back out . Also sometimes it's to cover supplies.

iammom

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 10:38 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
So you won't back out . Also sometimes it's to cover supplies.

She’s needs the fee a week before school so I don’t back out?

I guess I’d like transparency so I don’t feel like I’m just getting taken advantage of.

Some Morahs apply the fee to the first month’s payment which makes sense. But otherwise, how is this ok?

amother
White

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 10:48 pm
It's a business. She can charge whatever she wants. You decide whether to patronize her business or go elsewhere.

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 11:06 pm
Same reason why schools charge a registration fee. I think it's $1000 per kid. It's simply a way to make money.

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 11:10 pm
I was told it’s for supplies and I totally understand that.

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 11:13 pm
iammom wrote:
She’s needs the fee a week before school so I don’t back out?

I guess I’d like transparency so I don’t feel like I’m just getting taken advantage of.

Some Morahs apply the fee to the first month’s payment which makes sense. But otherwise, how is this ok?

How is it not okay?

Its covering her time communicating to you regarding this registration, and making a file/updating a file for your child.

The transparency is - it should be written somewhere so its clear that all parents are paying it. She didn't have it on her paperwork - it was chutzpah to ask you for it.

iammom

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 11:50 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Same reason why schools charge a registration fee. I think it's $1000 per kid. It's simply a way to make money.

I guess I just have naive hopes in people that they won’t take advantage of others just because they can.

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 11:52 pm
My registration fee was $150. This was after I switched my son's playgroup and forfeited the $200 registration fee from the other place Sad

iammom

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 11:52 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
How is it not okay?

Its covering her time communicating to you regarding this registration, and making a file/updating a file for your child.

The transparency is - it should be written somewhere so its clear that all parents are paying it. She didn't have it on her paperwork - it was chutzpah to ask you for it.

C’mon, it took 10 minutes to talk to me and 49 cents to mail out the paperwork.

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 11:55 pm
iammom wrote:
C’mon, it took 10 minutes to talk to me and 49 cents to mail out the paperwork.

and made a file for your child.

She can charge whatever she wants. She's a for-profit business.

Her fees however, should be made clear to you upfront.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:01 am
iammom wrote:
I guess I just have naive hopes in people that they won’t take advantage of others just because they can.

I totally agree with you. The playground or yeshiva will tell us they need the money to cover all expenses and they don't want to add it to the tuition because that will cause that number to look too high. My kids just had not check at $10 per kid. The woman checking are volunteers. They can check at least 25 heads an hour. Why the fee? Because it raises money, just like the registration fee and the dinner fee.

twolilgirlies

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:29 am
I had a morah last year that told me exactly what she did with the reg fees. She said she charged to hold the slot which is not refundable if you back out later on in the year (to cover herself) and ONLY used it for Playgroup expenses. She put all the money together and bought some new toys for the kids to use. updated some other things-like cute step stool in the bathroom etc. I liked that alot and thought that was very fair.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:45 am
twolilgirlies wrote:
I had a morah last year that told me exactly what she did with the reg fees. She said she charged to hold the slot which is not refundable if you back out later on in the year (to cover herself) and ONLY used it for Playgroup expenses. She put all the money together and bought some new toys for the kids to use. updated some other things-like cute step stool in the bathroom etc. I liked that alot and thought that was very fair.

She probably could have used the tuition money to do those things. Instead, she kept more of the tuition as profit and used the registration fee to cover some expenses. This is certainly her right, but it still comes down to charging more money to make a bigger profit. It's fine, but let's call it what it is.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:48 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
She probably could have used the tuition money to do those things. Instead, she kept more of the tuition as profit and used the registration fee to cover some expenses. This is certainly her right, but it still comes down to charging more money to make a bigger profit. It's fine, but let's call it what it is.

I think its called - industry standard.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 1:07 am
Playgroup morah here
1- I had someone back out a week before school!
2- I had someone change their plans at the last minute but didn't inform me! ( sent somewhere else,that was before I was strict on parents paying reg fee!!)
3- do you have kids in school? I pay between $150 to $200 for each reg. fee every single year in school.
4- supplies do add up and it covers the cost! That's the way things are done, usually reg fee is paid way earlier in the year to reserve the slot. If you send it late consider it a supplies fee!
Would it makes sense to you if everyone paid reg.fee beside for you because you registered late?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics