Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What's with dips?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 6:32 am
I have a lot of Israeli guests so I find they really like dips. I also find dips go better with a non sweet bread, not challah. Pitta, laffa etc is better with dips.

Mine are not heavy on mayo. I serve half grilled aubergines with techina drizzled, pureed aubergine with a little mayo (the authentic version uses techina), techina, chummus. Sometimes I bake or fry aubergine cubes and mix with a tomato basil sauce. Very rarely I make morrocan carrots. I used to buy the prepared dips like matbucha but I don't anymore.

At formal dinner parties bread rolls are always served with butter. So it is certainly entirely correct to have something to spread on your challah.

I serve either fish or soup, but if I do soup I still put out a few dips for those who really like them.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 7:03 am
I don't nec like fish but fish to me is a very strong custom. There's no way I'm replacing in salad (also my family isn't used/doesn't like)

happyone

Post Sun, Oct 20 2019, 7:17 am
we dont buy dips, we make them. actually most inexpensive part of the meal. And best part for my family. Its eaten with challah , but I also put out crackers and pop corners. Shabbos treat. We also never grew up with it but my husband did so I quickly got used to it.

salt

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 1:13 am
My kids have a joke (in Israel). (though it will probably get lost in translation).

What's the difference between a sefardi shabbat meal and an ashkenazi shabbat meal?

At an Ashkenazi shabbat meal they serve סלט חי (fresh salad), and at a sefardi shabbat meal they serve ח"י סלטים - ie 18 different salads.

Whatever, sounds better in Hebrew.
Smile

Geulanow

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 5:06 am
I didn't have dips when I was young. But I did take the store- bought challah and made french toast. My mother would have liked it if I gained weight but that didn't happen.. Maybe the challas nowadays have different ingredients or the wheat and eggs are different.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 5:10 am
salt wrote:
My kids have a joke (in Israel). (though it will probably get lost in translation).

What's the difference between a sefardi shabbat meal and an ashkenazi shabbat meal?

At an Ashkenazi shabbat meal they serve סלט חי (fresh salad), and at a sefardi shabbat meal they serve ח"י סלטים - ie 18 different salads.

Smile

Clever!

yo'ma

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 6:46 am
For all that says eating the challah makes the extra calories, they weren't at a meal I went to on Simchas Torah. People were eating the babaganush and chummus plain, by the spoonful. Surprised Can't Believe It

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:26 am
salt wrote:

Smile

Yum Smile
And I just want recipes for the 18 different healthy salads!!
Anyone want to help me out here?

princessleah

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 8:28 am
We serve cut up vegetables with the dips.
Save the leftover challah for french toast on Sunday morning.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics