Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
But new shoes?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 11:41 am
My 15 year old ds has stopped growing. I bought him shabbos shoes Pesach time, and since they are worn out, he wants new ones. I had spent over 100$ for them. I think I can just bring them to the shoe repair, to make them look better, as they still fit. Is that reasonable? Or, should I buy him a new pair? He’s a kid that doesn’t ask for a lot.. However, money is tight. What do you think?

giselle

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 11:44 am
I think it’s reasonable to get new shoes every six months, but at the end of the day it has to make sense for your budget.. my son is still growing, so it’s not an option for me to stick with the same shoes for longer than that. He also walks a lot, and his shoes are usually pretty worn by the next season.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 11:45 am
Are they really worn out, like they have holes, or do they just need a good polishing? You can take them to the shoemaker to find out what can be done to fix them up, how much that would cost, and how long they would last and then decide if it's worth fixing or replacing. While you're there, you can ask if there is anything you can do with a new pair of shoes that will increase its "life" such as taps or whatever.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 11:46 am
My son just got new shoes and the shoemaker put in a new heel so it shouldn't wear out so fast. His old ones he also got pesach same size...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 4:35 pm
Bump

amother
Green

Post Sun, Oct 27 2019, 5:26 pm
are you sure your 15 son has stopped growing? sounds a bit unusual

depends upon several factors and is a personal judgement call: financial ability, how beat up are the shoes, possible to fix, how much to fix/does it pay to just get new ones, are these still comfortable, in reasonable style, what is reasonable in your community, why and how badly he wants new ones and if so can he help earn them, typically someone this age would get new shoes at some point even if only one once a year or something afaik though I suppose in certain dire situations or particular communities the answer might be different.
I wouldn't put taps on a kids shoe unless that kid really wouldn't mind and even then not sure id do it for a variety of reasons.

hatzlocha

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 5:33 am
New shoes every 6 months? what?

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 8:52 am
If they still fit, no need to replace. Shoemaker can replace heels, soles, laces, resew seams, cover scuffs, even fix ripped leather depending on where ripped. Your ds needs to learn that where possible it’s better to repair and renew rather than buy new. Ask shoemaker for estimate. If repair will cost $45, worth it. If repair will cost $80, maybe not. Depends on cost of buying new. Your call.

In future, get heel and possibly toe taps as soon as shoes are bought. Extends life of heels and toes. Also get taps when replacing heels or soles.

And ds should learn how to polish his own shoes with paste shoe polish and soft rags. (Old socks are great for this. ) Also extends life of shoes.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 9:34 am
I sometimes find it more cost-effective to get DH new shoes on sale - there are sometimes good online buys for the shoes he wears - then to spend money repairing them at the shoemaker - which ain't that cheap either.

I've repaired shoes that soon broke another part....you have to decide if it's worth it.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 10:20 am
My dc stopped growing around Bar /Bat Mitzvah age. This was true for dh and me, too. Some boys are lucky enough to keep growing even into early twenties and some aren’t. If OP says ds stopped growing she must know what she’s talking about.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 10:32 am
All my children wear their Shabbos shoes 12 months unless they outgrow it or the cost of fixing it is too high. You can take in for estimate. Sometimes it’s juat not worth it. For the future you can enforce boys shoes so they last very long. It’s cheaper then repairing.
Between ages 5 - 12/13 I find this works out pretty well.

Before and after their feet grow much faster.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children