Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Can a teen develop Tourettes
Previous  1  2

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I will take all advice- just to hold me over from extra worry til I get in touch with the doctor.
I felt so sad for ds- he was in tears saying- "what is going on with my body?"

Poor thing. Besides for sleep, help him relax. It's a new zman, long heavy days.
Give him lots of love and space to "chill"
Get him a slurpee

rowo

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 12:43 am
Is there anything going on at school or home that could be worrying or stressing him out?
A couple of ppl in my wider family develop nervous habits when they are stressed or anxious.

nchr

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 1:21 am
If this just happened once or twice, I'd think the kid did indeed have a funny feeling and because of anxiety was moving it around in a funny manner. If it continues chv for a longer period of time, then you should see a doctor.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 2:36 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Did he get a flu shot or TDAP recently? I have seen transient tics follow both of those. Strep or lyme infections as well.

This. Or any other vaccine, for that matter.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 3:21 am
The tonsils were a red flag when you mentioned it.

DD had constant strep, and huge tonsils. The ENT said that tonsils can harbor strep and that strep can actually HIDE from antibiotics in there. Then the strep pops back up as soon as the meds are gone. She had full blown strep 5 times in one year.

She got her tonsils out, and never had strep again. Her personality changed for the better within 48 hours. It was like magic!

Please ask the ENT about tonsil and adenoid removal. Not only will it help with preventing strep, but it will help prevent sleep apnea as well. Enlarged tonsils can give him apnea, making him tired no matter how much sleep he gets, and then his immune system gets weak, and then the strep can come back.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 6:57 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
This. Or any other vaccine, for that matter.

Nope

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 8:56 pm
Op here- Just to update everyone who was so helpful last night- thanks!!ds woke up with runny nose and feeling warm. Took him to the doctor. Doctor said not strep- just a cold most likely, but he did want blood taken to check out what could be causing some of the muscle twitching and rule out vitamin deficiency. He also wants ds to see a neurologist and an orthopedist..I asked about PANDAs- he said hence the neurologist.. He said lots of different pieces going on here and trying to get the pieces of the puzzle
together

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Op here- Just to update everyone who was so helpful last night- thanks!!ds woke up with runny nose and feeling warm. Took him to the doctor. Doctor said not strep- just a cold most likely, but he did want blood taken to check out what could be causing some of the muscle twitching and rule out vitamin deficiency. He also wants ds to see a neurologist and an orthopedist..I asked about PANDAs- he said hence the neurologist.. He said lots of different pieces going on here and trying to get the pieces of the puzzle
together
OP keep in mind that once the body has been primed to this autoimmune reaction towards the brain triggered by strep, very very often the body will end up reacting the same way to any germs, so a cold/virus etc will trigger the same symptoms strep would. Also, it's common for kids to have asymptomatic or atypical presentation of strep. Also, unless the neurologist is pandas literate, chances are they will dismiss your concerns and just diagnose tourettes or some other similar wastebasket diagnosis. In the world of pandas, unfortunately, mothers have to be at the forefront of the battle, advocate fiercely and incessantly for their children, and never stop digging.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 30 2019, 9:27 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
OP keep in mind that once the body has been primed to this autoimmune reaction towards the brain triggered by strep, very very often the body will end up reacting the same way to any germs, so a cold/virus etc will trigger the same symptoms strep would. Also, it's common for kids to have asymptomatic or atypical presentation of strep. Also, unless the neurologist is pandas literate, chances are they will dismiss your concerns and just diagnose tourettes or some other similar wastebasket diagnosis. In the world of pandas, unfortunately, mothers have to be at the forefront of the battle, advocate fiercely and incessantly for their children, and never stop digging.

Thanks for the info!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics