Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Was Chava born with a braid?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 7:40 am
My dd comes home from school with interesting facts her teacher taught. Her teacher taught them that Chava was born with a braid and that is why some chassidim braid their hair.
I have a hard time believing that hashem makes braids Smile, anyone have a source for that?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 7:43 am
No. She wasn’t born and Hashem braided her hair to make her beautiful for Adam.

miami85

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 7:45 am
Iymnok wrote:
No. She wasn’t born and Hashem braided her hair to make her beautiful for Adam.

I've heard that Hashem braided her hair when she married Adam.

BadTichelDay

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 7:45 am
I've never heard that - but it's quite possible that some Midrash out there claims it. If not - it could be just one of these things that they tell girls to make them wear their hair tzanua...

amother
Green

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 7:46 am
I learned that Hashem braided her hair when she was "walking down the aisle" so that she would look beautiful for Adam

BadTichelDay

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 7:47 am
miami85 wrote:
I've heard that Hashem braided her hair when she married Adam.

Wait - that rings a bell. Yes, I've heard that somewhere.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 8:11 am
I learned in seminary that " vayikla seara" "Hashem braided her hair" as a way of covering her hair.( which is where the mitzva comes from) and from here, that when a women gets married, Hashem instills in them a form of Bina that comes with getting married..common sense. That when women get married, Hashem instills extra in them. Theres def more to it, but my postpartum brain cant remember all of it.
Part of braiding it was also taming down, since she was getting married...I think the connotation was a maturity that comes with marriage, and hair is untamed..so when we cover our hair in marriage...maturity that comes with being married. Again, Im missing some info.. this was also a very heavy medrash, not some little explanation.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 8:17 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I learned in seminary that " vayikla seara" "Hashem braided her hair" as a way of covering her hair.( which is where the mitzva comes from) and from here, that when a women gets married, Hashem instills in them a form of Bina that comes with getting married..common sense. That when women get married, Hashem instills extra in them. Theres def more to it, but my postpartum brain cant remember all of it.
Part of braiding it was also taming down, since she was getting married...I think the connotation was a maturity that comes with marriage, and hair is untamed..so when we cover our hair in marriage...maturity that comes with being married. Again, Im missing some info.. this was also a very heavy medrash, not some little explanation.

Been a while since I looked into Beraishis inside... is that in the posuk?

amother
Black

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:42 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Been a while since I looked into Beraishis inside... is that in the posuk?

gemara brachos 61a (translation and text from sefaria.org)

לְכִדְרַבִּי שִׁמְעוֹן בֶּן מְנַסְיָא דִּדְרָשׁ רַבִּי שִׁמְעוֹן בֶּן מְנַסְיָא מַאי דִּכְתִיב וַיִּבֶן ה' אֶת הַצֶּלַע מְלַמֵּד שֶׁקִּלְּעָהּ הַקָּדוֹשׁ בָּרוּךְ הוּא לְחַוָּה וֶהֱבִיאָהּ לְאָדָם הָרִאשׁוֹן שֶׁכֵּן בִּכְרַכֵּי הַיָּם קוֹרִין לְקַלָּעִיתָא בַּנָּיְיתָא

The Gemara responds: This must be interpreted homiletically, in accordance with the opinion of Rabbi Shimon ben Menasya, as Rabbi Shimon ben Menasya interpreted homiletically: What is the meaning of that which is written: “And the Lord God built the tzela”? This verse teaches that the Holy One, Blessed be He, braided Eve’s hair, and then brought her to Adam, as in the coastal towns, they call braiding hair, building.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics