Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Inspired by mommy3b2c

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 5:08 pm
Thank you mommy3b2c I was inspired by your post of offering chanukah gifts and put money on some grocery accounts of people I know who are struggling. Posting in hope that someone else will be inspired and find a personal way to give tzedakah or any help.

(If anyone else wants to join I have phone numbers of grocery accounts that can use any help I couldn't do all 😔)

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 5:52 pm
My husband was once in the grocery when a man was $20 Short and it was for basics and it was less than an hour before candle lighting.
Dh was next in line, and the man looked really devastated and lost. Dh said he'll pay for it. And he did.
It was literally our last $20 in the bank till next Wednesday- payday. But I had already shopped for that week and we managed.

Dh had paid for people's groceries a few times. (He's the breadwinner and in charge of finances so it's all his call)

I'm not in a position to really help but there are some really good poeple out there. Kudos to you op. And mommy3b2c

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 6:01 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
My husband was once in the grocery when a man was $20 Short and it was for basics and it was less than an hour before candle lighting.
Dh was next in line, and the man looked really devastated and lost. Dh said he'll pay for it. And he did.
It was literally our last $20 in the bank till next Wednesday- payday. But I had already shopped for that week and we managed.

Dh had paid for people's groceries a few times. (He's the breadwinner and in charge of finances so it's all his call)

I'm not in a position to really help but there are some really good poeple out there. Kudos to you op. And mommy3b2c

That's wonderful your husband wanted to feel good. I had my rav speak to my husband about giving away money impulsively. He did it att a time when we didn't have extra. You don't give away your last $20 on an impulse. You should take a more active part in the finances if you have no money for most of the week.

My friend's husband paid the shul's electricity bill, but didn't leave money for her for rent. She was the only earner at the time.

I also have paid people's bills on line at Walmart. It's a feel good moment, but it made no impact on whether I had money that week or not.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 7:46 pm
Wow op! That's so special that you took the momentum of inspiration and did something fantastic!! A lichtige chanukah!

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 10:48 pm
I was so inspired by her offer. I called Chai Lifeline they sent me gender & age info for a family. I went with my kids to a toy store we picked out appropriate toys for the family & dropped it off at the Chai Lifeline office. I hope that it is something that we will be able to make a family Chanukah tradition.
Mommy2b2c thank you for the inspiration.

shirachadasha

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 10:56 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I was so inspired by her offer. I called Chai Lifeline they sent me gender & age info for a family. I went with my kids to a toy store we picked out appropriate toys for the family & dropped it off at the Chai Lifeline office. I hope that it is something that we will be able to make a family Chanukah tradition.

מצוה גוררת מצוה Applause

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 11:58 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
That's wonderful your husband wanted to feel good. I had my rav speak to my husband about giving away money impulsively. He did it att a time when we didn't have extra. You don't give away your last $20 on an impulse. You should take a more active part in the finances if you have no money for most of the week.

My friend's husband paid the shul's electricity bill, but didn't leave money for her for rent. She was the only earner at the time.

I also have paid people's bills on line at Walmart. It's a feel good moment, but it made no impact on whether I had money that week or not.

Logically you are right...
But Hashem runs the world

Every single time I did this , I made or received money from totally unexpected places within the month

Obviously use common sense, dont give away your life savings or deprive your children of food, but whenever I did something small it paid off

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 12:17 am
Ugh I was trying to resist engaging with someone whose post is aiming to bring down the tone of this thread, but I still feel the need to say - there is a huge difference between giving the shirt off your back to a random shnorrer who asks, and using cash that is technically available after you already have your own needs when you see someone in a desperate pinch right before Shabbos, as described in the giving scenario above. Very sad if you think it's at all the same. Imagine what a zchus this person has, who knows where the ripple effects went. Can you imagine the guy's shalom bayis if he had come home after the store closed for Shabbos without having bought the groceries?

Let's keep the positive energy here and trust that people know their own capabilities.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 12:57 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:

I did this thru my kids school the office was suprised I bought so many toys
Ohel in Brooklyn needs toys too

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 2:15 am
I am one of the recipients who took the offer from mommy3b2c.
We dont have money for gifts and was feeling bad that my kids will be expecting something and won't receive. I asked Hashem to send a Miracle so they won't be completely deprived this Chanukah. We got the items today, the simcha tonight was beyond explanation!
Thank you mommy3b2c for being a great shliach for us. We got a cheap cd player so that we can have some life and music in the house during the day. and mini player for the kids to hear stories quietly while going to sleep.
I also treated myself. I purchased a potty so that I can train two of my kids. We live in a tiny apartment with one bathroom for many people kah. How can I train 2 kids like this...
What a zchus she has!!! Tizki Lmitzvos

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 2:22 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:

We were once at the hospital over shabbos. On erev shabbos a yid needed to go home but had no money on him, we paid for his uber so that he can make it home on time for shabbos, though we dont have the extra means. Sometimes you need to look beyond and help out a fellow jew when they're in a dilemma.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics