Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Newborn with a cough

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 5:49 pm
My week old baby is congested and has a cough. What can I do to help it go away?

jmom1

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 5:52 pm
Go to the doctor, let him check to make sure it’s not bronchitis.
Ask the doctor re any home remedies before trying bec of the young age - I’m guessing a humidifier can help, plus if laying down is tough due to congestion have him sleep in a more upright position, like in a baby swing.

tweety1

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 6:06 pm
I would call the Dr. One week old might belong in the er. Hugs and refuah shleimah.

shanarishona

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 6:07 pm
Newborns shouldn’t sleep upright because it could compromise breathing

Call doctor

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 6:22 pm
Our pedi says sleeping in a carseat with a head support is ok for the first few weeks, so I would start with that.
Also cut open a fresh raw onion and put near baby's head, discard and replace every twelve hours. My sister always swore by this and I laughed at her. Just last week, I gave it a try for my 1 yr old with a cold who couldn't sleep bec of his coughing. Within half hour, he was sleeping peacefully Bh. You can also rub the raw onion on soles of feet but I'm not sure I would do that for a 1 yr old.

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 6:33 pm
My newborn had that too. First they told me that he must have swallowed muconeom and that was normal and caused coughing.
When it didn’t clear up I was told to take my baby off of dairy formula. That baby was exclusively bottle fed. Within days of switching from dairy formula to soy formula the congestion completely cleared up.
I was also told about bronchiolitis (that’s the baby form of bronchitis)and a nebulizer was prescribed.
I’m surprised you aren’t taking your baby to get checked by a doctor. It’s very important at this young, fragile stage. For labored breathing your baby might need a nebulizer. It temporarily opens the airways so they can breath more easily. I saw my newborns body completely relax when I placed the nebulizer over his mouth/nose.
Please follow up with a competent pediatrician ASAP.
I know it’s hard to schlep out when your baby is so tiny and you are feeling exhausted but it’s so, so important!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 6:37 pm
Thx for the suggestions. My dr doesn’t have good hours- he next opens on Monday- so I will have to take him to a PA in the morning.

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 6:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thx for the suggestions. My dr doesn’t have good hours- he next opens on Monday- so I will have to take him to a PA in the morning.

Doesn’t the office have a call center where they call the doctor after hours for emergencies?

amother
Yellow

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 6:50 pm
Until you get seen by the doctor, use saline drops in his nose every hour. Refuah shelaima!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 7:00 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Doesn’t the office have a call center where they call the doctor after hours for emergencies?

No. I can leave a voicemail but I found he only calls back the next morning usually. There is a cell phone for emergencies but not sure I would consider this an emergency. He’s breathing fine, eating fine and his color looks good.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 7:37 pm
I had a 1.5 week old that got rsv. Bh dr. Put him on meds and he was fine after a few days.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Feb 29 2020, 8:16 pm
Your baby is a week old.. call the doctor !!!!! Sorry for being so harsh but better be safe than sorry when it comes to kids especially a new born! If the dr doesnt have an after hour answering service then you call his cell phone or find a different doctor asap.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics