Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Lice! Help!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 7:33 am
When dealing with lice does mayonaise have to be kept in the hair overnight or for six hours or is an hour or two effective? Which is more effective mayonaise or combination of dish liquid, olive oil and baking soda and how long does that combo have to be left in? Any and all suggestions welcome!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 7:34 am
the mayo sufficates the critters in about 20 minutes, iirc.

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 7:38 am
try hair gel ... suffocates as well ... and smells a tad nicer

smile

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 8:13 am
never heard of those tips. I use chemicals which I am not so happy about.
so any suggestions of what I can use to kill the lice and eggs? and how to use them?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 8:14 am
You can use anything heavay gthat suffocates them, like Pantene cfondition which is very thick and heavy, or mayo. One lice lady said for maintenance, do it every week for all the girls as a matter of course.

cindy324

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 10:09 am
AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My worst nightmare. My SIL is here from Israel with her two kids. With her , she brought along some headlice. My kids were playing very closely with her kids for a few days before she realized they had it. B"H my kids didn't get it, but I was so scared I took them to a lice lady to have them checked, I didn't trust myself, as I tried to clean one of my nieces out, but she still had after.

Forget the mayo, forget the chemicals (they don't help anyway most of the time, the buggers are immune to it). Buy the Nisska comb at the pharmacy for $25, brush hair out well with a regular comb before u start, slather your kid's head with Pantene conditioner, like CM said, separate hair into sections and comb , comb , and comb . Wipe on white tissue after each combing to see what you're pulling out. Keep combing until nothing comes out on the tissue. Repeat the combing the next night after she's taken a shower, and keep combing through at least every other night for 2 weeks after to make sure you've got all the bugs and the eggs. If you want, you can use the lice shampoo they sell in the pharmacy after the comb out, to make sure they kill whatever's left, but those thing really don't work on heavy infestations.

cindy324

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 10:15 am
and if all else fails, and you want to save your sanity, but not your $$, lol, I can give you the name and # of a wonderful lady who guarantees total cleanouts in less than an hour. She takes about $60/head iirc, depending on infestation, and that includes rechecks within 10 days.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 1:19 pm
I have done that several times.

smile

Post Tue, Dec 25 2007, 3:32 pm
how does mayo work on the hair? anyone else heard of it? how do you use it?

wasadoormat

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 7:47 am
amother wrote:
When dealing with lice does mayonaise have to be kept in the hair overnight or for six hours or is an hour or two effective? Which is more effective mayonaise or combination of dish liquid, olive oil and baking soda and how long does that combo have to be left in? Any and all suggestions welcome!

After spending $60 on products, I finally got the right answer. Margerine. I don't know if mayonaise is just as good, but I put it on my kids hair and wrapped it in plastic wrap overnight and the lice were dead. I don't know if an hour or two is enough but the premise is that you are suffocating these buggers and I don't know if they can hold their breath for two hours, so maybe its enough.

I have a lot of practical tips for this process. If the person will sleep with this, put a dark colored large towel on top of their pillow, to protect the pillow and to avoid seeing stains from the margerine, etc.as readily. Wash the towel in the washing machine adding Dawn dishwashing liquid. The point about Dawn particularly is that it is very effective in removing grease. If you have any other greasy item in the future, remember Dawn. (No I'm not a shareholder.)

Next big step. Afer whatever period you've waited to kill the lice, you've now got to get the grease out the hair. I strongly suggest you do not wash the hair in the sink, at least not yet. You've got a ton of grease that's got to come out. Take a finer tooth comb, as opposed to the wider toothed ones, and comb out the grease youve used but don't rinse the comb in the sink. You don't want this stuff clogging you drain. Can you imagine all that grease lining your pipes? Its not worth hit. Comb for as long as you have to but wipe the comb in paper towels as you go (use a whole roll if you need!) until you think you have gotten out all you can get and then you wash the hair in Dawn - the grease cutter. After you feel its as degreased as its going to get, you'll probably want to wash with regular shampoo just to feel normal again.

You are also advised to wash the linens in hot water and wipe all surfaces in the house. I PANICKED!! Whose got time for that!! With a house full of little kids (at that time) and a full time job and house to run, I was miserable, but I did what I could because I was TERRIFIED of it returning.

If you have any questions, you can contact me. I'm not a professional lice remover, just an experienced mom. (I never want to go through the experience again!)

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 26 2007, 8:20 am
I understand that margarine is just so greay and it's so uncfomrotable the children overnight that that's why Pantene came into vogue.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics