Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Twitch

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 9:57 pm
since corona, my son has developed a nervous cough and nose twitch. do I point them out or hope they go away on their own? when he is distracted or busy he doesnt do it as often.
hes 8

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 9:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
since corona, my son has developed a nervous cough and nose twitch. do I point them out or hope they go away on their own? when he is distracted or busy he doesnt do it as often.
hes 8

My nephew had twitches. It was anxiety and pandas. In your case it might just be anxiety, since the world has changed so suddenly due to corona. Ask your pediatrician

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 10:00 pm
Sounds like post infectious neuroinflammation. Pointing it out won’t help, but that doesn’t mean you have to sit back and do nothing, I would work on taking down neuroinflammation by eating a clean diet, working on gut health, taking anti inflammatory supplements, treating residual or chronic infections, etc etc

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 10:01 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
My nephew had twitches. It was anxiety and pandas. In your case it might just be anxiety, since the world has changed so suddenly due to corona. Ask your pediatrician
both the anxiety and tics are caused by pandas. Anxiety is a symptom, not a cause.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 10:01 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Sounds like post infectious neuroinflammation. Pointing it out won’t help, but that doesn’t mean you have to sit back and do nothing, I would work on taking down neuroinflammation by eating a clean diet, working on gut health, taking anti inflammatory supplements, treating residual or chronic infections, etc etc

wow thats a heavy diagnosis considering I never said he was physically ill. are you a dr?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 10:04 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
both the anxiety and tics are caused by pandas. Anxiety is a symptom, not a cause.

hes not anxious or OCD. I think just the change in his routine set this off.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 10:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
wow thats a heavy diagnosis considering I never said he was physically ill. are you a dr?
oh I thought when you said since corona, that he was sick with corona. My bad, I misunderstood.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 10:05 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
oh I thought when you said since corona, that he was sick with corona. My bad, I misunderstood.

np. I meant the change in his life due to corona aroubd us. he loves his routines and of course that got all messed up...

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 10:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
np. I meant the change in his life due to corona aroubd us. he loves his routines and of course that got all messed up...
I hear you. I still think tics always have a medical cause, but that’s my personal belief... Does he get otherwise bent out of shape by changes in routine?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 10:08 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
I hear you. I still think tics always have a medical cause, but that’s my personal belief... Does he get otherwise bent out of shape by changes in routine?

sorta but not on an extreme level...

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 10:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
sorta but not on an extreme level...
sounds like he might indeed have a touch of anxiety...

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 7:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My son started throat clearing and eye twitching last year. Was negative for pandas. So we just let him ride it out. Didn’t mention anything. (Even tho the throat clearing made me crazy!) and Bh went away.
hes 8

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 8:34 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:

how long did it take to go away?
how do u test for pandas?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 8:52 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:

how long did it take to go away?
how do u test for pandas?

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 9:07 am
My dc had a similar thing I wasnt sure if she was sick if it was allergies or a tick bad habit. I took her to dr she was healthy they said befor doing any further testing let's see if it's just a tik. It may have started because of allergies or something and it turned onto a habit so my dh and I spoke with dc and told dc if for 2 months doesnt do it we will buy her whatever she wants. It worked! For 2 whole months dc was very self aware and conscious about it and controlled herself from doing it dc got the present dc chose. And ever since dc never gone back to the tick bad habit.
May this is something u can try with your ds.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 9:12 am
My 9 year old had something similar. He would roll his eyes, roll his shoulders, twitch his nose. I knew he was anxious about something and he was lacking sleep. He has two older siblings so I figured he was suffering from fomo (fear of missing out). I took him to the dr to br sure it wasn't anything else and he was fine.
Know when his eye /shoulder rolling stopped? When he was well rested. The lack of sleep was causing his anxiety and all related tics.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 9:31 am
Let me add something. When someone has a tic or twitch, it is caused by neurinflammation. It is a neurological issue (as is anxiety, btw). Full stop. Full stop.
Can neuroinflammation go down on its own? Yes.
(An inflamed knee will eventually go down...it doesn't stay swollen forever)
Does it always? No.
Why not?
It could be the source of neuroinflammation, be they post infectious, mold, lack of sleep, stress, allergy or food related hasnt been taken away. So they are in a constant state of neuronflammation.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 10:33 am
OP your child’s anxiety and tics are likely being caused by the same cause, whatever that biological cause may be. Not, anxiety is causing the tics.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 12:08 pm
I do have experience with this.

First of all, follow above moms to check no medical issue.

Second, and this is what my pediatrician told me to do. Stop the child from doing whatever it is, otherwise it will become a habit that dc will not be able to get rid of. Don't make a big deal about it, just gentle nudging.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics