Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School evaluation lkwd

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 11:26 am
Where is the best place to get bored of ed evaluation, Lakewood. Child goes to a private Lakewood school. Does it matter if child resides in Lkwd, Toms River, or Jackson. Would an elementary age kid be listed as Special Ed for services or would child be given a specific diagnosis. What are examples of specific school or out of school services child can qualify for that they won't get if they for example would go through insurance or pay for at a private evaluation??

amother
Black

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 12:03 pm
Op if you’re not in Lakewood, move here. You’re out of luck if you’re living in Toms River or Jackson.
Ask the school for the paperwork and to walk you through the process.
Good luck

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 12:06 pm
I'm in lakewood now we just bought? What does that mean?!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 12:08 pm
Ask the school for the paperwork and to walk you through the process.
Good luck[/quote]

Complicated, and I want to be educated with the process

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 12:36 pm
If your child is already in a private school, call the school and they can set you up with an evaluation through ontrack the agency that does all the boe evaluations in the private schools.
I don't know what services you are looking to get covered if you are more specific I can let you know if I know anything about it.
Hatzlocha, may it be a successful school year and lots of nachas!!

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 12:56 pm
The school evaluations do not give a diagnosis but evaluate if they qualify for services. However, if your child can be very weak in one area of speech but strong in another, they won't qualify for speech even though they need help. You can get school based tutoring, speech, reading, kriya, social skills/counseling (although sometimes you can get that even without an eval).

School based services are generally not sufficient for very weak students and are limited because you don't know how experienced the person is or because the service is provided in a group or because the timing is too short or because every day is another story between the person's absences, your child's absences, there is a test or activity scheduled then or your child didn't show up especially if it was scheduled for recess time etc. etc.

In other words, if your child really needs help, get it privately.

I know. I worked in that system and had several children going through that system.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 1:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Complicated, and I want to be educated with the process

You didn’t say if you live in Lakewood. I do, and here’s how it worked:
Let the principal know I wanted an evaluation
Filled out the paperwork and handed in birth certificate, proof of address
Waited for the evaluators to contact me
They evaluated her
Met with the evaluators (two of them, one for an academic eval and one for psych) along with the principals
Discussed together what help she needs
It wasn’t particularly complicated n

amother
Black

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 1:12 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:

School based services are generally not sufficient for very weak students and are limited because you don't know how experienced the person is or because the service is provided in a group or because the timing is too short or because every day is another story between the person's absences, your child's absences, there is a test or activity scheduled then or your child didn't show up especially if it was scheduled for recess time etc. etc.

In other words, if your child really needs help, get it privately.

I know. I worked in that system and had several children going through that system.
I worked in the system too and just went through it with my daughter. Blanket statements are never a good idea. My daughter desperately needs services but the kind of services that she needs don’t require expertise. She needs tlc and motivation and the in-school services have that in spades. If you’re dealing with a more specific issue such as dyslexia then I agree that you’ll need to find more specialized help as well. But you’d probably want to take advantage of whatever the school can offer. Unless you’re wealthy enough to pay for everything out of pocket (or you have a sponsor).

amother
Black

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 1:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm in lakewood now we just bought? What does that mean?!
Ok I missed the part where you said you live in Lakewood. It’s a huge ordeal to get services if you live in Jackson or Toms River. In Lakewood I didn’t find it a big deal.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 5:05 pm
I read in another topic post that this place could recomend that the child need a self contained. On what basis would that be?

amother
Black

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 6:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I read in another topic post that this place could recomend that the child need a self contained. On what basis would that be?
Usually severe learning disabilities
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics