Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Almost 5 year old son started soiling his underwear

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 8:02 pm
My son is almost 5. He has been potty trained since 3 years old. Occasionally he would wet his pants when playing outside and not bothering to come in but nothing concerning. This summer he soiled his underwear 3 times in one day. I figured it was a stomach bug. But as the summer wore on it has been happening more frequently and now it is on an almost daily basis. It even happens when he is home. He tells me he didn't feel it. Or that it was so strong that it "burst out" before he could get to the bathroom. I don't know what is causing this or what to do. When I looked up encopresos online it mostly said it is due to chronic constipation. But to my knowledge he is not constipated. And also this is something g new after almost 2 years of no problems. Any thoughts or suggestions?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 8:43 pm
Did you ask your pediatrician about it?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 8:48 pm
It's very common in kids. Many kids don't have patience sitting on the toilet so they push off going until it' just falls out. When we had this issue I made time every day that my kid had to sit on the toilet, we used books but use whatever you need to keep him there for long enough. It only stopped once we made sure the child was on the toilet for enough time every day.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 8:59 pm
Sounds like encropresis. Ask your pediatrician. He may be constipated even if he doesn't appear to be.

Stars

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:01 pm
Check for strep or uti

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:51 pm
Constipation
Very common at this age.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:27 pm
my daughter did this 3 times a day, then 10 times a day, then up to 17 times a day. never in a toilet. She had NO IDEA it was coming. We did a multitude of tests--- xrays, spinal MRI, backside manometry, etc etc--- she got a few different colon diagnoses including encopresis but yeah--- we had NO IDEA she could be constipated because she was pooping well every day--- she had and has VERY severe megacolon. First step is definitely a KUB xray and a GI doc and a cleanout method the GI doc recommends. For MANY, a few cleanouts does the trick. For some, you get very unlucky so it's best to do the xray and start working on it ASAP. Davening he just needs a cleanout or 2 or 3!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics