Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Screaming toddler

Pearl

Post Thu, Aug 04 2005, 8:14 am
he's almost 1 1/2 yr, extremely cute, ka'h, but he screams.... all the time it seems. when he wants something, when he doesn't want something, when he's happy, when he's annoyed......... how can I teach him not to scream?

and also, he picks on one of his siters... she's 6 and she's so good with him, plays with him etc, but still, he picks on her, hitting, scratching. how can I make him stop?

proudmom

Post Thu, Aug 04 2005, 9:58 am
Pearl, I feel your pain my son does the same thing. The worse day for me was yesterday. That was all he was doing, picking on my daughter, scratching her, hitting her, kicking . I couldnt wait till he went to bed, which was really tough for me to put him to bed. He just refused. I was going nuts.

Pearl

Post Thu, Aug 04 2005, 10:02 am
proudmom, I know what you mean....

however, your son is about 1 1/2 yrs older than mine.... so I think the approach should be a little different. my son is still so young, he really doesn't get it when she cries, he thinks she is playing with him.
and the screaming- they can seriously give me a headache! maybe he's frustrated cause he can't really speak yet, but it's driving us nuts!

RedVines

Post Thu, Aug 04 2005, 10:40 am
My daughter screams extremely high, happy, sad, I just tell myself she cant communicate yet, so I just work on her words with her, it is very fustrating to them...so I work on my patience....

Tefila

Post Thu, Aug 04 2005, 1:26 pm
Lol my twins at 13mnths have started doing that too. When they get really happy excited it reaches volumes nope no microphone needed in our 2 story home 8) But my pooor ear drums. I think they like the way they can hear themselves. Nonething one can do. when they get a bit older I guess I'll try to teach them. What you have conc noise level I have x2 Very Happy
My twin boy has started pulling my 3 yr olds hair I don't think it's soo much fighting just interaction though she hates it b/c it hurts so I do tell him firmly no and he does move on to something else. The thing is I saw my twin girl no noing her twin brother. Thats how much I've been saying no, recently embarrassed

supermom

Post Thu, Aug 04 2005, 1:57 pm
Pearl wrote:
he's almost 1 1/2 yr, extremely cute, ka'h, but he screams.... all the time it seems. when he wants something, when he doesn't want something, when he's happy, when he's annoyed......... how can I teach him not to scream?

and also, he picks on one of his siters... she's 6 and she's so good with him, plays with him etc, but still, he picks on her, hitting, scratching. how can I make him stop?

are you sure we don't have the same kids.

Pearl

Post Fri, Aug 05 2005, 3:03 am
LOL LOL LOL freilich and supermom!!!

I guess because of the age gap (and maybe different gender has something to do with it?) I forgot they can be like that.....

but thanks for sharing, it's always nice to know we are not alone!

good shabbos

1stimer

Post Sat, Aug 06 2005, 3:32 pm
my son does the same, except it's me he beats up. He has an obsession with my glasses, before you can say 'no' he pulls them of and throws them on the floor. So the only thing we can do, is wait till they grow up a bit? At what age can we start teaching them that some things are not good to do?

supermom

Post Sun, Aug 07 2005, 3:34 am
before a year and half they start to understand the meaning of no. with my daughter all I have to do is give her a serious face and say no and then she stops what she does and starts to cry.

1stimer

Post Sun, Aug 07 2005, 1:43 pm
hmm, when I say no, he giggles. I'm convinced he knows he shouldn't be doing it. e.g. he runs to the bookcase, starts pulling everything down and throwing it on the floor, looks at me with this mischevous look and gives this excited, delightful giggle...

lucky

Post Sun, Aug 07 2005, 2:04 pm
1stimer wrote:
hmm, when I say no, he giggles. I'm convinced he knows he shouldn't be doing it. e.g. he runs to the bookcase, starts pulling everything down and throwing it on the floor, looks at me with this mischevous look and gives this excited, delightful giggle...

He probably likes your reaction when hw does trouble. s/t it is good to ignore them(within reason of course)

1stimer

Post Sun, Aug 07 2005, 2:16 pm
You're probably right, problem is he's too cute! Having said that, even when I ignore his antics, e.g. throwing food on the floor, pulling hair etc. it doesn't encourage him not to do it.

Pearl

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 9:53 am
Quote:
supermom wrote:
before a year and half they start to understand the meaning of no. with my daughter all I have to do is give her a serious face and say no and then she stops what she does and starts to cry.

that worked with the girls, but with my ds? no, he just laughs!

another very common problem, but I don't remember how to handle it:
he refuses to sleep in his own bed.....
remind me how to change that please!

cr2005

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 12:27 pm
my daughter at age 15 months does the same thing it doesn't matter what time of the day it is, the screams come out. I just think she needs alot of attention. Since she was an infant I tried to give her oldest sister more attention as to not getting her jealous, I think shes kinda picking up on it and wants more.
She probably also wants to say something but cant. Believe me sometimes it gets really out of hand, but I try to deal with it before that happens
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics