Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Panicking. Early puberty sign in boy

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 1:57 am
My just turned 10 year old son has a few hairs growing in his arm pits.
I'm trying not to panic.
Does this warrant a Dr. visit? How concerning is this? Does this mean the rest of puberty is coming fast and soon? Should I be giving him the puberty chat already?
I don't think I see any other puberty signs.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 2:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My just turned 10 year old son has a few hairs growing in his arm pits.
I'm trying not to panic.
Does this warrant a Dr. visit? How concerning is this? Does this mean the rest of puberty is coming fast and soon? Should I be giving him the puberty chat already?
I don't think I see any other puberty signs.

Yes, go to the doctor.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 2:25 am
That’s normal. Both my brother and I got underarm hair at 10 and the rest of puberty hit a few years later.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 8:39 am
When my son was 11 I kept telling him to wash his face. He insisted he did, washed again but I told him his face was still dirty... until we realized that he had mustach hair growing!

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 8:48 am
I don't think 10 is considered early

amother
White

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 8:54 am
Don’t panic, but def discuss with your pediatrician for peace of mind and clarity...
I have a 12 year old boy who doesn’t have any signs of puberty yet.. some are early bloomers and some late bloomers, but the pediatrician will be able to help you out!

miami85

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 10:09 am
Wow, my eldest turns 10 in a fews days. I'm not ready for this!

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 12:14 pm
You can definitely ask your pediatrician, but as other posters noted 10 is not unheard of early, and I’ll also note that hair growth on its own is not a sign of puberty in boys.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 12:17 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
Don’t panic, but def discuss with your pediatrician for peace of mind and clarity...
I have a 12 year old boy who doesn’t have any signs of puberty yet.. some are early bloomers and some late bloomers, but the pediatrician will be able to help you out!

I have a 12 yr old son showing signs of puberty and a 14 yr old that isn’t yet. They are both having their growth spurt now. Every child is really diff

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 10:53 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
You can definitely ask your pediatrician, but as other posters noted 10 is not unheard of early, and I’ll also note that hair growth on its own is not a sign of puberty in boys.

Underarm hair is not a sign of puberty?
So then why are posters saying to go to doctor?

smss

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:00 pm
It's not early puberty at age 10.

familyfirst

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 11:46 pm
Go to the doctor
You may want to hold off on puberty so that he isn’t unusually short

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 7:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Underarm hair is not a sign of puberty?
So then why are posters saying to go to doctor?

Hair growth usually starts the same time as puberty but on its own is not indicative of if. It is driven by the adrenal hormones and not testosterone. My son had this earlier than 10. His pediatrician said he was fine. I took him to an endocrinologist too so we wouldn’t miss the window for growth hormone if necessary and he said the same thing. Don’t panic and just check with your doctor.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Dec 18 2020, 8:06 am
People are saying to go to a doctor, because anonymous women on a message board cannot accurately assess your son's hormone levels.

BTW, DD got her first hairs around 10, and didn't start her period until almost 3 years later. She's short because her birth mother is short, not because of hormonal problems.

(BTW, panicking about being short is an insult to every short person on this board. Mad )
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics