Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What is your definition of a "mini skirt?"
Previous  1  2

southernbubby

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 10:15 am
To be fair, people form subconscious judgements against other people if their clothes are inappropriate for the occasion. Religious services and religious holy places demand modest attire but modesty is not uniformly defined. Most American women view pants as modest but most probably don't view provocative type skirts that way.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 10:15 am
LovesHashem wrote:
I hear. I know that's not the secular interpretation of the word but anything that's above the knee is showing ervah and therefore a mini skirt in my eyes.

It might be an untznius skirt but I don’t think that’s the definition of a mini skirt. A mini skirt to me is a skirt that just about covers the underwear!

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 2:50 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
I would say a real mini-skirt would be mid thigh or shorter (world-at-large)
But when I read the original thread mentioned here, I assumed the poster considered "mini" to mean above the knee when standing. To me that's a frum definition of a mini. In my mind, hitting the knee when standing is "just just."

I don't think the OP of that thread was being judgey, they were just asking the question. We DO evaluate people's observance by their outward dress and appearance. Honestly, I didn't realize that anyone here thinks Jews don't.

I was the OP of the original thread- I was referring to skirts mid thigh.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:00 pm
I had a coworker that wore mini skirts. They were so short that she would have exposed her underwear had she not worn a pair of shorts as well. I felt uncomfortable for her, especially since a few male coworkers had a perfect view up her skirt daily.

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:32 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
I’d say mid-thigh, in my broader community, this is pretty much acceptable among young women and teens. I do not approve of this skirt length for myself or daughters, or is difficult since many of their friends or role models dress this way.

Mid-thigh sounds about right as a definition of miniskirt.
Merriam-webster defines it as ": a woman's short skirt with the hemline several inches above the knee."
Collins dictionary: a very short skirt , originally in the 1960s one at least four inches above the knee The free dictionary: A short skirt with a hemline that falls several inches above the knee
Cambridge English dictionary: A very short skirt

The trouble with defining it by inches above the knee is that on a woman with very long legs, four inches above the knee is just plain short, while for a woman with very short legs four inches above the knee can be borderline public lewdness.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 5:48 pm
DrMom wrote:
I'd say a mini skirt is something around 7" or 8" above the top of the knee or shorter (for an adult female).

I'd be surprised if there is a frum community in which that is the norm, but I am willing to be corrected if I am wrong.

Three inches before knee is mini

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 6:09 pm
I haven't mentioned mini skirts on this site, but where do you live that you don't see any? In nyc they are everywhere both in non jewish and modern jewish communities.

trixx

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 6:57 pm
I read in a fashion magazine that a skirt should extend past your fingertips and anything shorter is not classy. I have to agree with that, once you look out for it, it's true.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:59 pm
I once read a dress code for a non Jewish private school. The rule stated that skirts must reach the tip of the wearer’s thumb. Anything shorter would be considered mini

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 11:09 pm
Those that just about hug the tuches.

number

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 4:29 am
http://www.sizecharter.com/fas.....ngths

Looks like anything that’s shorter than a knee length skirt is a mini skirt. A knee length skirt will be an inch or two above the knee. So a mid thigh skirt is a version of the mini skirt.

I don’t know if op has a different definition of mini skirt or if she hasn’t seen any frum women wearing skirts that hit mid thigh. I don’t think she’s come back.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics