Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Ny license vs nj license ticket insurance question

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 10:08 am
So I got a cell phone ticket 2 years ago (which I didn’t do but I know it’s his word against mine). I was living in ny at the time. The hearing has been rescheduled several times, no idea why at first but then Bec of COVID. It’s now this summer (may still be rescheduled), almost 3 years after I got it. I have since moved to nj. I was not able to get my license transferred right when I moved and then COVID happened. At this point it’s hard because so few locations are open and you have to plan months in advance and I never know my schedule. Is there a benefit to waiting in case I am found guilty? In terms of points and insurance price. Will it transfer to my nj license regardless if I have it already or not?

I’m confused. Please advise if it will be smarter to wait or get the nj license as soon as possible in terms of price of car insurance and points. I’m really upset because I even had a passenger in the car who had no idea because I clearly didn’t use my phone and I even explained to the officer why he probably saw a reflection etc and then he lied to my face, so I really don’t want to have to deal with this at all and would like to minimize financial damage as I’m really innocent but I realize that the system is stacked against me

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 5:24 pm
Bump

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 5:28 pm
I don't have advice for you regarding your situation. But my husband got a cell phone ticket and hired a lawyer to fight it. First thing the lawyer did was adjourn the hearing for about 2 years. He said that if the hearing is after 2 years, then even if you get a fine the points get dropped after that amount of time. I don't know what would happen if you default on the hearing, though. Would you consider hiring a lawyer to represent you?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 8:49 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I don't have advice for you regarding your situation. But my husband got a cell phone ticket and hired a lawyer to fight it. First thing the lawyer did was adjourn the hearing for about 2 years. He said that if the hearing is after 2 years, then even if you get a fine the points get dropped after that amount of time. I don't know what would happen if you default on the hearing, though. Would you consider hiring a lawyer to represent you?

I didn't default. They pushed it off for some reason and then it was pushed off for covid. I considered hiring a lawyer, but I don't know what he can do for me more than I can do for myself. I really am innocent and it rubs me the wrong way that I have to pay even more more and he might not even get me off. I also heard that about the pushing off but I don't think it's accurate anymore. The problem is that it's so long since I got the ticket, that while the occurrence is burned into my brain, I doubt he gave it a second thought and probably doesn't remember any of the details any more.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 10:33 pm
Was it in 5 boroughs of NYC or somewhere else in ny?

challahchallah

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 10:56 pm
I have no direct experience, but some googling led me here, which seems to say that points will follow you regardless.

https://trafficschoolonline.co.....tates

If you show up for the ticket after all this time and argue your case, you certainly have a shot of reducing the penalty. Sometimes the officer is too busy to show up, etc.

Smile1234

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 11:46 pm
Pretty sure ny and nj points transfer
Insurance will be same no matter what...

cnc

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 6:52 am
Points expire 18 months after the violation. At this point you wouldn’t be getting points regardless .

rim

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 10:08 am
Had a lawyer change the ticket to pay money and take off the points

doctorima

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 10:15 am
I believe it makes a difference where the ticket was issued. In NJ and many places in upstate NY, it's common to plea bargain to a non-moving violation with no points (but often a higher fine), but in NYC's 5 boroughs, there are no pleas. It's either guilty or innocent (usually guilty).

Also, I think that if 18 months have passed there will be no points on the license, but insurance counts it from the time of conviction, not the time of the violation, so the 18 months won't help for insurance. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe NY points transfer equally to a NY or NJ license, so switching wouldn't make a difference in that regard.

rim

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 12:37 pm
Yes mine was issued upstate
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries