Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Drivers License expiring

amother

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 10:21 pm
I am in New york and my drivers license will soon expire. I am not sure I will be able to renew it before the deadline because I am missing docments that I need in order to renew it Sad
I am trying to get the documents I need (because of the name change thing since I've gotten married) but it might be after the deadline.

if I try to renew my license after the deadline, what happens?

I really dont want to have to take the road test again!! It was so much of a hassle.

If I just have to pay for the license past the due date, thats okay. But I dont want to have to take the test over again. How does it work.

Amother because many people in real life know about my dillema, because I am waiting for my documents to be ready (such as marriage certificate) and I dont want them to know my screen name.

ss321

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 10:31 pm
im pretty sure you can renew online! I think you go to nycdot.gov. maybe its nydot.gov? google driver license renewal new york. theres like a form you fill out, it asks you your name, social, driver license numb etc, and they should sen dyou a new one in the mail.
pm me if you really cant find it and ill try to find the link tmrw

amother

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 10:43 pm
op here.

Thank you ss, the thing is, I have to come down there in person because my license is in my maiden name. I have since changed my name legally and got a new SS card (same number though) with my married name. So if I renew it, I can no longer renew it in my maiden name since it's not my legal name anymore.

Now when I renew my license, I have to tell them about my name change. The thing is, I didnt get the marriage certificate yet. Its coming but it might not be ready before the deadline to renew.

Im wondering if I bring in my documents after the deadline if it'll be such a problem. What will happen? Will I just have to pay a fee? or will I have to take the road test again? I hope not. I rather just pay a fee.

kitchen designer

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 10:45 pm
why don't you call up the dmv and ask?

cheerios

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 11:37 pm
I think the website is nysdmv.com. That's where I renewed mine. Check it out, it says something about a temporary lisence. (I don't know if that would work in your situation, but check out the faq's). Good luck.

MrsLeo

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 11:47 pm
I dont think you have to retake the test. You just cant drive or use it as ID until it is renewed.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 11:14 am
You can get a non driver's license if you have to.

ss321

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 11:47 am
amother wrote:

Im wondering if I bring in my documents after the deadline if it'll be such a problem. What will happen? Will I just have to pay a fee? or will I have to take the road test again? I hope not. I rather just pay a fee.

Yea. I rly doubt theyd make you take the road test again. unless your license was like REVOKED, or if a long gap of time (meaning years) passed between your expired one and your request for a renewal. but try calling them to find out for sure. I highly doubt it though

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 11:52 am
Why don't you just renew your license with your maiden name THEN when you get you documents for the name change then do the name change.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 11:54 am
actually, I think you have to retake the test. why don't you renew online in your maiden name and deal with the name change when you get your marriage certificate?

shopaholic

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 11:55 am
Pickle is right
If you get stopped, they won't care that it's in your maiden name, but at least it will be in date.

ss321

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 12:29 pm
amother wrote:
op here.

Thank you ss, the thing is, I have to come down there in person because my license is in my maiden name. I have since changed my name legally and got a new SS card (same number though) with my married name. So if I renew it, I can no longer renew it in my maiden name since it's not my legal name anymore.

I was talking to someone else about this --heres the thing. are you sure? I dont know if that site will search some social security database and be like "no match found in that last name." as long asyoure in the system, I dont think its gonna notice that.
as an aside, things like drivers licenses and passports (plus transcripts and things like immunization and doctors records) are the only reason I havent changed my name legally yet. Ill probably do it before I graduate, because whatever name goes on my diploma can never get changed (so I hear), but I just dont want to deal w/ hassles like these!!!

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 1:39 pm
first of all they have records in the ss office that you changed from your maiden name to a married name ... believe me they know ...

once it expires you will have to take the test again ... not sure if both road and written - or just written ... either way better to have a valid license than a valid name and the test over ... look it up on line - call them up - I have a feeling they know ... What

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 1:50 pm
http://nysdmv.com/license.htm#addresschange

maybe this info will help ...

Imawoman

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 1:55 pm
Weird. Where I'm from, all I had to do was take my marriage certificate with me to the licensing centre. They changed my name and within a few weeks I received my new card. A temporary license was given in the interim.

Now that my name is settled, I can renew online.

rise above

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 8:46 pm
I just did this yestrday in NYC.
My license actally expired, I went to get it renewed and they didn't even ask me for any ID because I was in the system! And I also changed my name on my SS card and I had Zero problem!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics