Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
LHello mothers, welcome to our new Forum

babula

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 12:49 pm
Hello, I'm Babula and I want to invite you to a new Forum called Living Jewish in Remote Places.

Over the 30+ years of my marriage my dh and I have lived and raised our family in many remote places. In some we were not only the only Jews we were also the only English speakers. In others there were a few other Jews but we were the only Shomer Shabbas family. This presented challenges that you will recognise; ordering and shipping Kosher food, travel to the Mikvah and special challenges for our children.

I look forward to hearing your stories.

shopaholic

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 1:12 pm
I'm sure you'll get lots of responses. There are lots of Shluchos here.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 1:13 pm
It's really too bad there are not many Europeans on the site, because I know a good number of them in small communities...

Anyway, I'm happy to be there! My situation is not as 'extreme' as being the only shomer shabbes around, but it's definitely the average small town community...

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 2:47 pm
verynce !

cindy324

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 3:01 pm
This is very interesting! I hope this forum remains open to all members, though. I'd be fascinated to read all your experiences!

LibraMommy

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 3:06 pm
I'm also interested in reading this forum!

sarahnurit

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 3:32 pm
Great! I am in!

Tefila

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 6:15 pm
Hi I live in Yehupetzville too. And at one time 17yrs ago we were the only black hatter, sheital wearer here, not anymore b"h Smile ..........................

ohbaby!

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 8:16 pm
im in!!
im in Curitiba Brazil!!

Amital

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 6:29 am
I'm interested here, too. I do now and have lived in the past way out in the wide world. I'm always looking for tips!

mamacita

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 10:10 am
I once lived in the boondocks and was the only shomer shabbos woman at my university (there were 2 male faculty members).

8mom

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 11:39 am
I'm all for this. I came here for 2 years and have been here for 18 and a half years!! I'm not sure how I would manage in a 'normal' community.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 1:01 pm
mamacita wrote:
the only shomer shabbos woman at my university

I'm starting to think it's the same in mine

jba

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 8:31 pm
I guess I am relativley new to living in a 'remote' place. DH and I work in a kiruv community in upper NY. So we are close to NY/Brooklyn/Monsey etc. but on a day to day basis it's strange not to have an Orthodox community. The hardest part I think is on Shabbat when, as we walk home from shul, many of the congregants of the shul get in their cars and go play tennis etc. There is not a support system in that way....aside from lack of kosher food and schools.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics