Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
How do you freeze bananas?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 5:37 pm
That they won't turn brown in the freezer?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 5:45 pm
I don't freeze bananas until they are turning brown on the counter. But peel, slice, freeze on cookie sheet, move to zip lock bag.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 6:03 pm
Why would they continue to ripen in the freezer?

Frozen bananas are for sweet treats so I wait until they get plenty overripe before I freeze them. I peel them first because it's annoying to defrost them with the peels on, and I put them in a Ziploc. They're so soft they often break into a couple of pieces while I do this.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 6:05 pm
F1or me, the bananas get dark brown when I freeze them. I freeze them in Ziploc bags peeled whole

steak4me

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 6:45 pm
Slice them in chunks and then freeze in a ziploc. Should stay ripe and not brown. I do it all the time.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 7:47 pm
It depends on what you will be using them for, and how sweet you want them to be.

If you are making banana bread, you'll want them to be brown, because that means that most of the starch has converted to sugar.

If you are making smoothies, freeze the bananas when the skin is bright yellow and the flesh is more firm. Higher carb, lower sugar, and it makes a thicker puree.

Frumme

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 7:54 pm
Am I the only one who mashes them up in the ziploc and then freezes them? Easier for recipes that way

yo'ma

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 12:21 pm
Like FF said, it depends on what you want to do with them afterwards. When I want it for cake, I freeze them whole and when I want to use it, I take it out to defrost. Once completely defrosted, I squeeze it out and it’s practically mashed. If I want it for a smoothie, I peel, cut if I feel like it, and put in a bag.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics