Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Best natural minded book for adhd

hello321

Post Tue, May 18 2021, 10:33 pm
Please advise.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, May 18 2021, 11:35 pm
Google Somatic Experiencing and adhd.
Peter levine posits that adhd is really a trauma response.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, May 18 2021, 11:38 pm
Gabor mate has abook on adhd and says its trauma based
Scattered mind.
When he wrote it he may not have been totally against medication as a tool

amother
Silver

Post Tue, May 18 2021, 11:39 pm
Finally focused by James greenblatt
Healing the new childhood epidemics and brain inflamed by dr Kenneth bock
GAPS by Natasha Campbell Mcbride

hello321

Post Tue, May 18 2021, 11:58 pm
Ok so many choice ladies
I dont know which one to order

What is the best book that will help me understand it and also help my child.
I dont see that book about trauma.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 12:03 am
hello321 wrote:
Ok so many choice ladies
I dont know which one to order

What is the best book that will help me understand it and also help my child.
I dont see that book about trauma.
Finally focused helped us a lot. It is very basic, clear to understand and clear to follow. Unless you know your child has significant trauma, I wouldn’t necessarily go down that road. Yes, ptsd can look like adhd, but not all adhd is actually ptsd. There are many many reasons behind adhd symptoms.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 12:03 am
Despite posting about Mate above, Id recommend dr Kenneth bocks book and google articles and talk by Gabor mate in ADHD on youtube. Also podcasts.
Gaps diet by Natasha Campell is if you are interested in making big dietary changes. Its not an expensive book. And if you are willing to do it you can find online support and support in the frum world for the diet. People use it for crohns and digestive issues too.

hello321

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 12:09 am
I dont know about an extreme diet.
I do try to give my child healthier food but from other moms I have spoken to it wasn’t so clear that taking the child off gluten for example or other food was obvious that that’s what the solution was. I do want to try a more natural approach rather than giving medication however I’m trying to understand where it comes from and even doing exercises or calming down things to help would be helpful

amother
Silver

Post Wed, May 19 2021, 12:13 am
hello321 wrote:
I dont know about an extreme diet.
I do try to give my child healthier food but from other moms I have spoken to it wasn’t so clear that taking the child off gluten for example or other food was obvious that that’s what the solution was. I do want to try a more natural approach rather than giving medication however I’m trying to understand where it comes from and even doing exercises or calming down things to help would be helpful
Usually for these kids there are multiple root causes going on at the same time, so just going off gluten alone isn’t going to make enough of a difference, though that doesn’t it isn’t helpful or necessary. I think reading the gaps book can give you a lot of insight even if you don’t end up following the diet. None of these books will be able to tell you for sure what your child’s particular root causes are, but they can inform you about the different causes out there and possible treatments. You will still need to be a detective to put the pieces of the puzzle together for your child. Disconnected Kids by Dr. Melillo is another great book, more of a physio neuro therapy approach
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)