Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Too many toys

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 11:25 pm
I have big playroom and even more toys. My kids don’t want to let go of anything. They don’t even play with a tenth of them. How do I chose what to get rid of them and where do I give them to?

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 11:27 pm
When they are not looking, put the ones that are just collecting dust in storage for a couple of
weeks.

If no one notices, then give away.

Keep doing this - a few toys at a time.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 11:38 pm
You can ask your relatives and neighbors if they would like some toys.

My DD got some Hexisnaps from a friend and her kids enjoy it.

windchime

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 8:00 am
Hide a nice portion of them, and rotate every couple months. That way the playroom is kept more organized, and toys become exciting.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 07 2021, 8:10 am
DD is an only child, and as a first grandchild, was spoiled ROTTEN with toys. Toys she never looked at, toys that still had the tags on.

When she was 5, I told her the story of the "sad babies" who never had toys of their own. B'H we have so many toys, but lots of babies are sad because they can't play. Can we do anything to help the sad babies be happy?

DD grabbed a garbage bag, and we went through her room and she picked out all of the nice new toys that didn't interest her. We donated them to a battered women's shelter that took in kids.

We'd do this every year or so. Sometimes we'd donate them to firefighters, or the police. When we moved to Israel, we donated to victims of the Haifa fires, and to new olim from Argentina who came with nothing but the clothes on their backs.

To this day, DD is an incredibly generous person, and grateful for everything she has. She also knows the difference between "want" and "need".
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics