Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Questions about Gel Manicure
Previous  1  2

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 11:35 am
amother [ Aconite ] wrote:
Did it once. Removal was horrible. Painful, and damaged my nails so badly. It took months to grow out the damaged part. Cured my need for manicures.

If removal was painful, they did it wrong.

My nails "seem" weaker after gels, but that's because they're so strong with gel, I forget what they're like otherwise.

The process is that they do your cuticles and shape your nails like any manicure. Then there's a base coat, 2 color coats and top coat, each cured by a UV light. No dry time after the UV.

It usually lasts about 2 weeks, with housework, etc.

To remove, soak a cotton ball or square in acetone, and hold it onto the nail with foil. I usually cover with a disposable glove to keep the cotton in place. The gel should come right off without much scraping.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 12:15 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
If removal was painful, they did it wrong.

My nails "seem" weaker after gels, but that's because they're so strong with gel, I forget what they're like otherwise.

The process is that they do your cuticles and shape your nails like any manicure. Then there's a base coat, 2 color coats and top coat, each cured by a UV light. No dry time after the UV.

It usually lasts about 2 weeks, with housework, etc.

To remove, soak a cotton ball or square in acetone, and hold it onto the nail with foil. I usually cover with a disposable glove to keep the cotton in place. The gel should come right off without much scraping.

You put a piece of foil over the cotton ball?

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 12:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You put a piece of foil over the cotton ball?

Yes. The foil just holds the acetond-soaked cotton in place. I leave it there about 20 minutes.

amother
Oldlace

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 2:04 pm
Some dollar stores have flip flops

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 3:25 pm
Gel manicures use uv light which is a carcinogen

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 8:49 pm
I luv doing gel, been doing that for about 4 years.
I used to go weekly for manicures, even the twisty bottles which are supposed to last 14 days never lasted past a few.
Now I can go for 14-20 days between manicures but I don’t remove the polish on my own only when at the salon. At the salon they either soak a cotton ball in acetone and wrap that in a piece of aluminum foil and then put my hand in a glove. Or you soak in a bowl of acetone for 15 mins. The lighter the color the less it shows when it starts to grow out after 10 days. If you go for a mani and pedi you can have your toes dry while your getting your nails done. 30 mins is usually enough.
Enjoy

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 3:08 pm
One more question-can I do gel if I am pregnant? I know regular manicures are ok but it just occurred to me that maybe gel could be an issue? I'm 5 months along

amother
Mintcream

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 3:26 pm
When my pedicure is dry and I'm ready to leave, I ask the manicurist for saran wrap to cover my toes. Then I can put on shoes and socks and it doesn't get ruined.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 3:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
One more question-can I do gel if I am pregnant? I know regular manicures are ok but it just occurred to me that maybe gel could be an issue? I'm 5 months along

Not that I know of, if anything that's the easiest time to get gel because you don't have to think about taking it off for the mikvah.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics