Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
How do you call somene named Eliyohu?
Previous  1  2

stem

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 11:23 pm
My husband calls our 3 yr old son "prophet" or when speaking about him he'll say "the prophet", or sometimes just "proph" for short... Everyone else calls him Eli. LOL

Laughing Bag!

Post Mon, Nov 26 2007, 4:28 pm
amother wrote:
I'm Chasidih myself and had a grandfater Eliyohu who was called Elye. I personaly dislike the name Elye. Elie or Eliyuhi sound much better.

I wonder if were related lol my grandfather was eliyohu called elye. hoever the einiklach that are named after him are called Elie or Eliyuhi (some also eliyohu or elye sometimes) and were chassidish at least most of us

MahPitom

Post Mon, Nov 26 2007, 8:42 pm
My dad is Elya

momluv

Post Mon, Nov 26 2007, 8:52 pm
I like eli. it's cute, short and simple.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 26 2007, 10:21 pm
OP- here. Thank you all for your replies. I have another question now: How do you spell the name in English for legal documents such as for Birth Certificate or Social Security. I was thinking of Elliot or Ellie. Which one sounds better? Does anyone have a better name?

Crayon210

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 12:17 am
Elijah.

hila

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 12:47 am
Why cant you put Eliyahu on his birth certificate ? Are you ashamed of his Hebrew name ? Why have 2 names ?
I assure you all those Arab babies being born in the US have Machmud or some such name on their social security and no one bats an eyelid.

My kids are all Americans and we registered them with their Hebrew names . No one said a word.

BTW my DH is Eliyahu and we do call him Yahoo sometimes (he is a computer geek) . But usually the whole name

Crayon210

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 12:53 am
hila wrote:
Why cant you put Eliyahu on his birth certificate ? Are you ashamed of his Hebrew name ? Why have 2 names ?
I assure you all those Arab babies being born in the US have Machmud or some such name on their social security and no one bats an eyelid.

My kids are all Americans and we registered them with their Hebrew names . No one said a word.

I happen to agree, but it sounds like amother wants a secular name.

hila

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 1:08 am
But I am trying to understand what the purpose is of a secular name ?

APart from formal documents where is it going to be used ?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 27 2007, 8:17 am
some people use their secular name all the time except in religious settings. In France it has been like this since the Middle Ages, only changing 10 years ago or so with some parents decided they didn't want it, and got criticized for not keeping the custom.
I personally don't like it, and I don't plan to do it despite I know I will be told it's not what Ashkenazim do, but I'm asking people to not start a bashing of our rabbis and customs. Thank you.

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 10:38 pm
We put Eliyahu on my son's birth certificate. It's basically phonetic. People pronounce it the way you'd pronouce Eli (as in Elijah) and then a "yahu" at the end.
When we tell people we call him Eli, they sometimes "hear" Elliot. I know an Eliyahu who is legally Elliot.
The name, Ellie, I think in the secular world is more feminine. My grandmother (who is not frum) has a hard time understanding why we call a little boy by the name Eli (sounds like Ellie which she's heard as a nickname for Ellen.)

Hila: Many people give an English name for legal documents because the child may grow up and end up in the business or professional world. I know quite a few people who added or changed their names (from a Hebrew name to a secular name) before applying to Law School or Medical School.

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 9:36 am
ds is nosson eliyahu amd we call him that

oh and by teh brits he's natan eliyahu.....

yo'ma

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 9:40 am
why does he have to be called anything other than his given name? nicknames shouldn't be a thought process, it should just come

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 12:56 pm
oh yoma when I went todo his passports I wrote nosson eliyahu well the brits wouldn't allow it and insisted I anglosize nosson to nathan or nbatan so in his brit passport he's natan eliyahu but it odesn'tmatter cus he's known but both nosson and natan eliyahu...

yo'ma

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 1:02 pm
Where I am, you have to pick from the "list". Afew years ago, pple fought to have jewish names on it. My sons name was not on it (most pple never even heard of it, Choni) so we fought for it and got it. I didn't want him to have a different name b/c I'm planning on moving back to the states and want it the same.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names