Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Israeli gymnast wins gold in rhythmic gymnastics!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 7:45 pm
Israel's Linoy Ashram pulled off a stunning upset in a dramatic individual all-around rhythmic gymnastics final, winning her nation's second gymnastics gold medal of the Tokyo Olympics and first ever in rhythmic gymnastics.

https://www.nbcolympics.com/ne.....stics

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 9:49 pm
I donโ€™t watch rhythmic gymnastics but was excited to see Artem dolgopyat win a gold medal for Israel in menโ€™s gymnastics, the first ever!

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 1:51 am
I'm so happy for her and proud! I watched a short clip on it. She looked thrilled! Such nachas๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Iymnok

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 2:13 am
On Shabbos.

amother
Geranium

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 2:25 am
Someone pointed out to me that Israelis only win medals in sports that are performed barefoot. (Gymnastics, judo, windsurfing.) Any idea why?

sequoia

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 2:44 am
Muahaha

I love it!

Elfrida

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 3:32 am
There's a kind of national pride involved, but she was performing on Shabbos, wearing next to nothing, and probably not taking too much notice of kosher food while she was in Tokyo. I'd feel much more impressed if she had really done something to bring kavod to the Torah in an international forum instead of twirling her body and pieces of equipment round better than anyone else.

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 4:09 am
Elfrida wrote:
There's a kind of national pride involved, but she was performing on Shabbos, wearing next to nothing, and probably not taking too much notice of kosher food while she was in Tokyo. I'd feel much more impressed if she had really done something to bring kavod to the Torah in an international forum instead of twirling her body and pieces of equipment round better than anyone else.

I hear you. But even if she kept kosher and didn't have her competition on Shabbat, you can't really do rhythmic gymnastics in a tznua way and be competitive.

So you're basically saying that you'd prefer that she was in a completely different line of work. Nobody in the Olympics is going to "bring kavod to the Torah."

I guess I feel that I am still impressed by her accomplishments and skill, even if they have nothing to do with Torah.

Those rhythmic gymnasts bend like their bodies are made of rubber. How the heck do they do that... and catch sticks at the same time, or not trip over that ribbon?

etky

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 4:35 am
DrMom wrote:
I hear you. But even if she kept kosher and didn't have her competition on Shabbat, you can't really do rhythmic gymnastics in a tznua way and be competitive.

So you're basically saying that you'd prefer that she was in a completely different line of work. Nobody in the Olympics is going to "bring kavod to the Torah."

I guess I feel that I am still impressed by her accomplishments and skill, even if they have nothing to do with Torah.

Those rhythmic gymnasts bend like their bodies are made of rubber. How the heck do they do that... and catch sticks at the same time, or not trip over that ribbon?

Well, no, and to be honest, the very name of the event - not to mention its nature - is problematic from a Jewish POV.
That aside, although I'm not someone who has any interest whatsoever in sports - to the extent that I did not follow any of the Olympic events even though I had a close relative on the Israeli baseball team - I was still happy to hear of Ashram's success if only for the fact that it was a national 'feel good' moment and those are pretty hard to come by these days.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 4:54 am
DrMom wrote:

Yes. I'm willing to respect her skill and dedication, but is this really how we want to be ืื•ืจ ืœื’ื•ื™ื?

sequoia

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 5:07 am
Iโ€™m just happy the Russians are sad.

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 5:39 am
Elfrida wrote:
Yes. I'm willing to respect her skill and dedication, but is this really how we want to be ืื•ืจ ืœื’ื•ื™ื?

I must admit I was jazzed when she won. Maybe I shouldn't have been? Rhythmic gymnastics is not "modest" in the Jewish sense, but it's not sleazy or immoral.

She seems like such a sweet, modest, hardworking young woman.

sushilover

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 5:52 am
sequoia wrote:

I still don't understand how the Russians are allowed to compete at all. Can someone explain it to me?

WhatFor

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 7:23 am
DrMom wrote:
I must admit I was jazzed when she won. Maybe I shouldn't have been? Rhythmic gymnastics is not "modest" in the Jewish sense, but it's not sleazy or immoral.

She seems like such a sweet, modest, hardworking young woman.

What a sweet video. Great foreshadowing Smile I recently saw another video from a couple of years ago where she talks about how Eastern Europeans have dominated rhythmic gymnastics for so long and she wanted to show that someone like her could do it. (She's half Yemeni-Jewish, half Greek- Jewish.) I'm glad she achieved her goal. She worked really really really hard for this (as did all the Olympic competitors, I'm sure).

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 7:54 am
Putting Israel on the map in a positive way with the the whole world watching is by definition being an Ohr Lagoyim. Perhaps not in the ultimate spiritual sense, but it serves for today. Especially since in the eyes of the world, Israel =Jews. ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ฑ
very proud!

sky

Post Mon, Aug 09 2021, 1:15 pm
sequoia wrote:

The Russians are mad. And leveling all sorts of accusations.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics