Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
My 5 yr old doesn’t want to go to school

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 9:42 am
He is fine once I’m gone, but makes a big deal when leaving. Sometimes he has a bus in the morning and sometimes I drop him off at school. He doesn’t want to go on the bus/get out of my car. He has an older brother (8 yrs) who is being patient but firm with him, but I feel bad “forcing” him to school everyday. I’m hoping that it’s a beginning of the school year thing. If he would be doing this last yr, I would walk him into the class and the teacher would distract him while I leave. Now he’s in a big building and nobody greets him when I drop off. I feel bad (for him, and) for my older son because it’s not really his problem, especially if he is worried of being late for class. Anyone else’s kid did this? What did you do?
Just want to add that I hear all about his day after school and there doesn’t seem to be any real reason for him not to want to go except maybe being anxious about a new big school. He likes his rebbe and is making friends bH.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 9:46 am
When he doesn't get out of the car, but BEFORE it turns into a meltdown, can you calmly ask him "why?" See what he says. In the moment, he may be able to express his fears.

School refusal is a real thing. I used to think that DD was just being stubborn, and we fought about it a lot. Looking back I feel terrible that I didn't understand her, and that we were not communicating.

https://childmind.org/article/.....hool/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics