Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
If your child passed away on Shabbat how can you be happy?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:03 pm
I heard that no matter what happens one should be happy on Shabbat and Yom Tov. How can you be happy on Shabbat if chas ve shalom your child passes away on Shabbat or if your child is kidnapped on Shabbat and you are filled with fear over where they might be?

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:04 pm
Is this hypothetical or gd forbid did this happen to you?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:09 pm
I don’t think that anyone who says this has an iota of empathy in their heart.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:12 pm
My friend had this. Her baby passed away on Shabbos. (She had premonition, the baby had heart condition) There was nothing she could do, but wait till motzei. I don't wish it on anyone.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:15 pm
Do you mean on that Shabbos or on subsequent Shabbosos for ever after?

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:20 pm
My brother was niftar on a Friday night after a long illness. My parents didn't inform anyone until some friends came by Shabbos afternoon to visit. I can't imagine how they got through that Shabbos but they did appreciate the time they had to deal with their own grief before having to start making phone calls motzai Shabbos.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:21 pm
Why only a child? How can someone be happy if their mother passed away on Shabbos? I promise you , Hashem is not punishing anyone for being sad on Shabbos. Even it’s for much lesser things. This is not worth even thinking about.

amother
Feverfew

Post Sun, Sep 26 2021, 10:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I heard that no matter what happens one should be happy on Shabbat and Yom Tov. How can you be happy on Shabbat if chas ve shalom your child passes away on Shabbat or if your child is kidnapped on Shabbat and you are filled with fear over where they might be?

Why even this extreme? I find that being happy on yom tov is always an avodah. I have to work hard on it not to be sad.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note