Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Feeling overwhelmed

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 1:11 pm
So I am feeling very overwhelmed. I am not creative or artsy, but I appreciate nice things. I really need to do some things around my house, like simple pictures on the wall...either paintings/mirrors or some of those nice collages of professional pictures of my kids, but I don't even know where to start. Everyone tells me that these things are so easy....but for me they are so hard! Any suggestions?

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 1:47 pm
Start by looking at one room. Don't try and do all the rooms, you will get overwhelmed.
You can post here the colors of the walls, furniture, curtains/blinds etc and people can help guide you as to the best additions to the room. I personally tend to go minimalist as I tend to overdo these things otherwise. Totally outing myself to anyone who's been to my old house-I had one room which was covered with jigsaws I had done. Looked really nice but very full. It only works in a big room.
Have you done professional pictures? If yes, you can have a nice one printed onto canvas and hang that up in a room.
I don't know what they're called but I have near me someone who will take your pictures and make a collage etc for you. Or you can get a photoframe that has slots for multiple pictures, print out pictures and just slide them in. Much easier than trying to make a collage. Something like this
https://www.amazon.com/Edensee.....psc=1
or this
https://www.amazon.com/Malden-.....psc=1

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 2:06 pm
Well, you COULD hire an interior decorator to do this for you, but you'd end up with a home that reflects the decorator's taste, not yours.

Start with framing a collection of family photos or vacation photos. Individually, not a collage--I personally find collages to be way too busy, like a Where's Waldo? game. A photo from your wedding, not too mushy, either just the two of you or you and dh with both sets of parents. Or a picture of your bouquet or your hands while your dh is putting the ring on your finger if that's what you prefer. Then pics of your dc, either individually or as a group. Maybe a pic you took in Israel. The Kotel is a popular one, especially on a mizrach wall.

Get them enlarged--they have to be a decent size to look like anything on a wall--and professionally framed and matted. Matting makes the item larger and more important-looking.

A nice arrangement might be your wedding picture in the center and your children's pics in a circle around it, if you have a blank wall big enough to accommodate such a collection. Or if you feel that's too self-aggrandizing, how about pics of your parents in the center and pics of your family and your siblings' families on the periphery?

You can also have objects framed for display. Someone I know has a whole collection of challah covers made by women in her family, starting with her grandmother's. Someone else has a collection of modern challah covers, each bought on a trip to israel for the purpose of display, not to use. The frame and mats are chosen to coordinate with the challah cover itself. Someone else has a collection of fancy handkerchiefs, embroidered and/or trimmed with lace or crochet, some inherited, some bought in thrift shops. They're mounted on contrasting-color backgrounds to highlight the lacework.

Another friend of mine has a collection of folding fans mounted in shadow-box frames. Each is a souvenir of some trip or other, from Colonial Williamsburg to Chinatown. They're all different materials, colors and designs, from silk to paper to wood to mother-of-pearl. Each one is in its own frame, but you could put four to six in a single large frame if that worked better for you.

Another friend has a display of copper-colored dessert molds in her kitchen. They were a gift and she never used them for their intended purpose. Tired of having them cluttering up her cabinet, she hung them on the wall, where they add a nice warm visual note. They're not real copper but anodized aluminum, so they never tarnish and need no polishing.

See? It is easy. All you have to do is find a good framing store.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics