Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Makeover at the mall

cutemama

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 3:12 pm
Hi, I have my bro in laws wedding soon and I see that the local makeup artists prices climbed insanely high!! I wanted to do a makeover at the mall, where you pay for some products and they do your face for free. Has anyone tried it? any feedback or recommendations?

srbmom

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 3:36 pm
Just an FYI, I looked into this recently and couldn't find a place doing this now because of "COVID protocols"

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 3:39 pm
The artists have to apply the makeup the way the company teaches them. You need to do your research if it’s your style.

I once used Dior and I wouldn’t recommend. I heard good things about MAC though.

cutemama

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 3:40 pm
how long ago was this? because I asked sephora and ulta and they don't even have this listed

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 3:40 pm
Like at Sephora?

cutemama

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 3:41 pm
amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:
The artists have to apply the makeup the way the company teaches them. You need to do your research if it’s your style.

I once used Dior and I wouldn’t recommend. I heard good things about MAC though.

Thanks! and how does mac charge- you pay by the hour or for the products?

cutemama

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 3:41 pm
amother [ Lily ] wrote:
Like at Sephora?

Yes, youve done it there?

srbmom

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 3:43 pm
I tried at Sephora last week and they said all makeovers are on hold. But this may be a regional thing. I am not in the tri-state area

Persevere

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 4:11 pm
I've done MAC twice, and I loved how it came out both times. The issue is, that I am sure it is very dependent on which specific makeup artist you happen to get.

You have to make an appointment. You have to buy $50 of makeup (not sure if this has changed).

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 4:17 pm
MAC also has makeup lessons and it actually makes more sense to learn how to apply makeup well than to rely on professionals unless this is your special occasion where you will be photographed and not just a guest. Is it standard for guests to have professional makeup now? It seems excessive if you aren't in the wedding party of the mother of the BM boy etc.

In terms of department store makeup "artists", my experience is that the results are generally pretty terrible because they are not generally makeup "artists" but just random yentas who sell makeup. They are there to push their makeup. Often their makeup is like a "don't" for me in terms of how I would NOT want to look.

I used to have it done quite a bit when I was younger as a thing to do when I was shopping and was killing time. I never had anything that compared to a real professional makeup application.

MAC people seem to actually be real makeup artists.

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, Nov 02 2021, 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

cutemama

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 4:18 pm
Persevere wrote:
I've done MAC twice, and I loved how it came out both times. The issue is, that I am sure it is very dependent on which specific makeup artist you happen to get.

You have to make an appointment. You have to buy $50 of makeup (not sure if this has changed).

Awesome!! how long ago? and did you do it near lakewood or Monsey, maybe you can tell me the name of a good artist

Persevere

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 4:21 pm
cutemama wrote:
Awesome!! how long ago? and did you do it near lakewood or Monsey, maybe you can tell me the name of a good artist

It was not in the tristate area... Sorry :/

amother
NeonOrange

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 4:24 pm
I have done at Sephora but don't recommend for an event because you may not like how it comes out. And some are very inexperienced and it takes them forever. Just book a makeup artist rather.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 5:12 pm
Really depends on the person doing it..

For tri-state-
Dior counter at neiman Marcus in Garden State Plaza
Mac counter at Nordstrom in Garden State Plaza

Both I’ve had really good experiences (I even used one for my own wedding)

You can do a trial. Just call and let them know that you want to schedule an appointment for a trial and see if you like it. If you do, schedule the main appointment and they’ll do it the same way (she’ll keep notes of what she did on you to know)

I’m not sure about Neiman Marcus but Nordstrom is definitely back to doing makeup now

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 5:14 pm
Would you pay $85. U can PM me for a name in Lkwd ...

cutemama

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 9:25 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Really depends on the person doing it..

For tri-state-
Dior counter at neiman Marcus in Garden State Plaza
Mac counter at Nordstrom in Garden State Plaza

Both I’ve had really good experiences (I even used one for my own wedding)

You can do a trial. Just call and let them know that you want to schedule an appointment for a trial and see if you like it. If you do, schedule the main appointment and they’ll do it the same way (she’ll keep notes of what she did on you to know)

I’m not sure about Neiman Marcus but Nordstrom is definitely back to doing makeup now

Thats great! do you know how I can contact mac at nordstrom? I dont see it on the mac site. Also, do they charge or you pay for the products?

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 12:44 pm
if the wedding didn't happen yet, I just had a wedding in lkwd and I used someone who did the most amazing job!! I felt like myself, but like a pretty version, she got the coloring perfect.
I can post her name if that is helpful

cutemama

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 12:49 pm
Yes, the wedding still in a few weeks, can you post her name and price
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics