Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Meira/Mayira

amother

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 9:59 pm
I like the name Meira, but not sure if most people (non-observant and non-Jewish) are going to pronounce it wrong all the time with that English spelling. How about Mayira or Meyira -- is that a weird spelling?

Also, how would you spell Tsilla? Lots of possibilities...

leomom

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 10:22 pm
I think when you put a "y" into it, it's more confusing. At least when it's spelled Meira, people might say "Mayra" or "Myra" but it's close... with the "y" people might not even try to pronounce it!

Also, the pronunciation isn't really MAYira. It's mih-ira. So again, I think the standard Meira is the best bet.

I love the name Meira, by the way! Beautiful sound and beautiful meaning.

louche

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 10:25 pm
The reality is that no matter how you spell it someone will mispronounce it because English is not a phonetic language. Meira looks the most normal. The others look like a misspelling of Myra.

I would spell it Tsila because with the double l it looks like it should rhyme with "Miller", not "Sheila".

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 10:26 pm
I've met two Tzilas. Spelled: Tzila

I think that people should be able to pronounce Meira. The people who don't are the people who would have a problem with most names--you can find a way to mispronounce any name in the world--don't make yourself crazy!

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 10:35 pm
hm ... what about the name meyer/meir ... not quite a mistake ... so ... I say whichever way you choose is fine ... just make sure you keep repeating the pronunciation ...

louche

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 1:05 am
manhattanmom wrote:
you can find a way to mispronounce any name in the world-!

you got that right!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names