Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
S/o Fork vs spoon
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 5:54 pm
This conversation is scintillating.

Einikel

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 5:57 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
This conversation is scintillating.

LOL LOL LOL

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 6:10 pm
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
It's not our issue that you assume we are incapable of doing what a 1 year old can do. It's on you to fix your attitude and outlook. We don't need to cater to this silliness. This is not how the world works. If only there were classes on how to not judge or make assumptions or treat people like morons.

In fact it is your issue. YOU could have clarified. And you chose not to until page 4.
Stone, I see you through. Seems you have a problem to acknowledge defeat. I will cut you slack if it makes you feel good.
Some day I might even send you a copy of table manners book and a set of cutlery for you to train on.
LOL

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 6:22 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
In fact it is your issue. YOU could have clarified. And you chose not to until page 4.
Stone, I see you through. Seems you have a problem to acknowledge defeat. I will cut you slack if it makes you feel good.
Some day I might even send you a copy of table manners book and a set of cutlery for you to train on.
LOL

Can't Believe It Banging head

gr82no

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 8:07 pm
Help! I did not think such a heated discussion would happen from a discussion of forks and spoons. I guess it’s in the wrong forum.

Shabbosiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 8:33 pm
amother [ Sage ] wrote:
If anyone is a Diana Wynne Jones fan there's an extremely funny scene in her book Witch Week where student have been chosen to eat at the headmistress's table where they know they have to follow her lead with utensils. They manage until they get to the runny rice pudding which she was somehow eating with a fork. Haven't read that book in years but that's what immediately came to mind when reading the debate here.

Thank you! I was wracking my brain trying to remember which kid's book this scene was from! It was my immediate reaction to the other thread

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 9:15 pm
As I sit here eating my salmon with a fork, I realize I’m not old enough for this and I need to get my baby spoons so I can eat mashed potatoes instead. I might have to go to my mommy’s house and have her spoon feed me I doubt I can manage it on my own.

amother
Lily

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 10:09 pm
Wait I'm confused. I'm about to eat with a spork (tradition soup that comes with spork) but I need to know first, is a spork considered primarily a spoon or a fork? Because I hope to high heavens that it's a fork so that I can be part of the higher classes of society

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 10:22 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Yes they were. And I never realized it was not universally taught until I came to my inlaws. I saw my younger sister in law setting the table in any random order. I tried teaching her the proper order, and she just couldn't understand what's the difference.
So I told her what I was taught...on the left is small fork then big fork. Because we eat fish first and then meat, so we take what's on the outer edge first.
On the right is the spoon then the knife, because we eat the spoon before the meat.
She thought I was nuts.

But I still cringe when I see how they eat, how they hold their forks and spoons. How they lick their fingers.

I agree there are more important things in life. But it's not a bad thing to comfort to rules of table manners, and if you ever go to a simcha or restaurant, you will find the table set in this way.

If it makes you feel better, it drives me crazy when tables are not set correctly. I'm married more than 25 years, and still haven't drilled it into DH that forks go on the left, spoons and knives on the right. BH my kids know better.

In public, at meals with others, I will always use the proper utensil. Eating at my desk, or late at night, however, I might grab a spoon for rice or mac & cheese.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 10:24 pm
Rice tastes better when eaten with a spoon.

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 11:11 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Yes they were. And I never realized it was not universally taught until I came to my inlaws. I saw my younger sister in law setting the table in any random order. I tried teaching her the proper order, and she just couldn't understand what's the difference.
So I told her what I was taught...on the left is small fork then big fork. Because we eat fish first and then meat, so we take what's on the outer edge first.
On the right is the spoon then the knife, because we eat the spoon before the meat.
She thought I was nuts.

But I still cringe when I see how they eat, how they hold their forks and spoons. How they lick their fingers.

I agree there are more important things in life. But it's not a bad thing to comfort to rules of table manners, and if you ever go to a simcha or restaurant, you will find the table set in this way.

I was taught to set the small fork, big fork on the left. On the right closer to the plate the knife (sharp side facing in) than big spoon and dessert spoon after that or on top of the plate.

“Knife protects the spoon from the fork”

And although I don’t particularly care what utensils you eat with I do like a table set properly

In our home cholent is served in a bowl and eaten with a spoon. The liquid is the best part!!!!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 11:14 pm
We grew up knowing that fork has 4 letters like the word left, and knife and spoon each have 5 letters like the word right. I've taught that to my children as well. 😃

honeymoon

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 11:15 pm
amother [ Tomato ] wrote:
I was taught to set the small fork, big fork on the left. On the right closer to the plate the knife (sharp side facing in) than big spoon and dessert spoon after that or on top of the plate.

“Knife protects the spoon from the fork”

And although I don’t particularly care what utensils you eat with I do like a table set properly

We now have a new shidduch question. "Do they set the table with the knife protecting the spoon from the fork?"

Genius

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 11:18 pm
honeymoon wrote:
We now have a new shidduch question. "Do they set the table with the knife protecting the spoon from the fork?"

Or more importantly, what do they eat the chulent with?Or the fish…

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 11:22 pm
honeymoon wrote:

Or do they know how to eat solids with a fork.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Dec 13 2021, 12:43 am
amother [ Lily ] wrote:
Wait I'm confused. I'm about to eat with a spork (tradition soup that comes with spork) but I need to know first, is a spork considered primarily a spoon or a fork? Because I hope to high heavens that it's a fork so that I can be part of the higher classes of society

Nooooo. Soup is always eaten with a spoon.
But a noodle soup needs a special instrument because the long noodles would just slip off the spoon.
So you are good with a sporl for noodle soup, but any other time you eat soup, it should be with a spoon. Got it?

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Dec 13 2021, 12:47 am
Also Im sure we break rules by putting our glasses on the left instead of the right.

Well table ettiquie was created right righties in mind and were a family of lefties. So I don't really care.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics