Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Bathtub/shower advice

mc

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 10:16 am
Looking at buying an older house that has a tiled half wall separating the bathtub and toilet. Does anyone have this setup? What do you do to keep the water inside when kids shower? Ideas other than having a shower curtain wrap around the half wall which I'm not sure will work well?

kollel_wife

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 10:46 am
I had glass door with a glass end wall as well - but very old - when I removed, I put up a L shaped curtain rod.

In the end, however, I only bought a regular shower curtain, not an extra long one. The end where the wall is, is the opposite end of the water, so water doesn't really reach that end in any case.

Amarante

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 11:02 am
That half wall is called a pony wall and is not uncommon.

Before I remodeled I had the configuration in my master bath and I had glass on the pony wall and sliding glass doors on the front so that the bathtub had a glass enclosure.

The best solution is to have glass shower wall installed there. You can also have a glass shower door installed in the front as well if you want.

Depending on the configuration of your bathroom you can have either sliding doors or a hinged door. The glass wall on the pony (half wall) is stationary. The issue with a sliding glass door is that the tracks need to be cleaned regularly or they become icky. A hinged shower door is cleaner but might not work in the space - e.g. not sufficient clearance to open.

mc

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 12:41 pm
Amarante wrote:
That half wall is called a pony wall and is not uncommon.

Before I remodeled I had the configuration in my master bath and I had glass on the pony wall and sliding glass doors on the front so that the bathtub had a glass enclosure.

The best solution is to have glass shower wall installed there. You can also have a glass shower door installed in the front as well if you want.

Depending on the configuration of your bathroom you can have either sliding doors or a hinged door. The glass wall on the pony (half wall) is stationary. The issue with a sliding glass door is that the tracks need to be cleaned regularly or they become icky. A hinged shower door is cleaner but might not work in the space - e.g. not sufficient clearance to open.

Thanks! Nervous to have glass shower doors so want to avoid that Can they just do a glass wall attached to the pony wall? Would a shower curtain rod attach to that somehow?

Amarante

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 12:55 pm
mc wrote:
Thanks! Nervous to have glass shower doors so want to avoid that Can they just do a glass wall attached to the pony wall? Would a shower curtain rod attach to that somehow?

I don’t know if that would be stable because generally the glass is attached to the front of the shower . How that is done depends on whether you have a framed or frameless shower enclosure. My current shower converted the tub to a large walk in shower and the pony wall is now a to the ceiling wall which is tiled inside the shower

I would be hesitant to rely on the advice of a sales person because they may recommend something that isn’t really going to be the best solution because they lack the expertise or want to get the job so they suggest something that isn’t the best way to go.

I wouid suggest posting this question on the houzz.com bathroom forum because they have a user base that is much more knowledgeable than imamothers are in terms of construction and remodeling. When I remodeled I used that site as a resource extensively.

mc

Post Thu, Feb 17 2022, 1:12 pm
Thanks! Will look into that :-)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics