Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How is it poss. to take DH's chumras wn u r the 1 in the kit
Previous  1  2

ora_43

Post Mon, Apr 28 2008, 5:55 am
For us it wasn't really an issue. I first made pesach by Chabad and my dh is dati leumi, so there were definitely no new chumrot, in fact everything was weirdly easy.

Still, I made sure to corner him a week or so before Pesach and get in lots of questions--when I'm cleaning room A I plan to do X,Y,Z, is that OK, is it enough, etc. I also kept calling him from the grocery story--what kinds of oil are OK, what heksher on the matzah, etc. I think the best way to make sure you have your dh's chumros straight is to sit down and talk about it a week or so beforehand. Ask what needs peeling, what needs rinsing, what does he buy vs. make from scratch, etc.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 28 2008, 10:19 am
Raizle wrote:
so if you are saying that after 20 years there are still some things you are learning about your husband's chumros then that reinforces my question. Wink

Not to learn, to internalize.

For example, the custom in Lub to cover all surfaces that were used for chometz (after cleaning and kashering, if possible). We moved to a place where we can sufficiently kasher our sinks and counters and it's technically not necessary.

We're not young anymore, and it's not so easy to spend hours bent over a sink foiling or the counters, foiling each nook and cranny. DH made some noises about how he wanted to clean and kasher and zehu, and without skipping a beat, I said, but we always cover!

And believe me, I don't love all that foil. I get foil cuts that burn and bleed, it's mad ugly, I have to get it from a special store and it's crazy expensive, and it's a bear to put on and take off. And don't ask about the shmutz underneath, after more than a week of heavy cooking.

Now, do you get it?

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Apr 28 2008, 10:32 am
I love that foil. All clean and shiny and easy to wipe off. Of course it's dh who covers and not me so he gets the cuts!

Maybe I'm nuts. 8)

louche

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 12:04 am
I love the foil once it's in place, brand new before it starts to wrinkle, shred and get unstuck. I hate the process of foiling and hate what it looks like underneath when we peel it off. and there's no way to clean a foiled stove after the first few spills--not if you do do real cooking. you can't scour foil, so the spills remain. ugh!

raizy

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 12:13 am
louche I changed the foil in middle of yom tov. on chal hamoud. I cleaned the stove. and put on new foil it really helps.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 12:27 am
oh my stove isn't foiled b/c we don't kasher ovens for pesach & so ours is separate. dh always helps in the kitchen (& when he isn't helping, he's actually doing everything for me) & we had most of the same chumros. I do the peeling veggie thing onto plastic bags. I get very creative as to what is considered peelable- this year we managed to peel our tomatoes, peppers & strawberries. who knew? we also do the nothing on the floor thing- but we wash it well & use it again afterwards. & the washing eggs... and everything else. when I have questions- I save up a whole bunch & bombard him. hey do we sell this? can I use this? how do we do this? and then I try not to bother him again for at least 10 minutes (at least I try...)

Raizle

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 12:32 am
wow, what type of foil do you all use?

we use something called builders foil, I never got cuts from it, it doesn't shred, its easy to keep clean and the counters are nice and clean when its removed.

I hope you ladies haven't actually been covering your counters with regular aluminium foil shock that would be such a pain!

gryp

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 9:10 am
I think I still haven't caught on to every detail of food prep in the kitchen on Pesach. I'm lucky that I've gone to my MIL every year so far and I try to help as much as my kids allow me to, and I have had the chance to basically learn through doing it.

There's lots more I can learn in the kitchen from my MIL besides just the chumros. I would love to be able to emulate her gefilte fish, applesauce, latkes, and other dishes, even cholent. And her speed. It seems like every time I blink she's accomplished one more thing.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics