Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hearing test normal but child can't hear well

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 12:06 pm
Has anyone had this?

happy chick

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 12:43 pm
What do you mean he doesn't hear well? When you speak to him, he doesn't respond?

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 12:45 pm
Maybe the child is just distracted.
Have you checked for fluid or wax in the ears?

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 12:45 pm
Auditory processing issue?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 12:47 pm
We did just a basic test so it could be more extensive testing will show something. He doesn't hear well and keeps asking everyone to repeat things.

Genius

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 12:50 pm
There are tests that test the brain reaction to sound. It might also be fluid although I wonder whether the results would be good in that case.

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 12:54 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Auditory processing issue?

A good audiologist will be able to diagnose this as well.

Op, get a thorough hearing test. One with tones only won't be enough (the standard block-in-the-bucket when you hear a beep).

Genius

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 1:04 pm
You know what else? This might sound crazy, but sometimes people don’t hear well when they can’t see. How is his vision?

amother
Bone

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 2:02 pm
Yes!
I have this with my 4 year old. When he is well he can hear ok but for a month or so after every cold his ears are filled with fluid.
We just got him glasses and did notice an improvement- interesting point you made Genius I never would have correlated the two.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 2:12 pm
I was well into adulthood when I realized that while my hearing, objectively, is very good, even excellent (I hear all kinds of frequencies very well based on the routine tests I get at work), I have a hard time as a result understanding what people say--especially if there is other background noise. It's not uncommon at larger social events that everyone else seems to understand each other and I sometimes have no idea what someone is saying to me. Hearing so many frequencies so well means I have a lot of input for my brain to process and filter. So, it's exhausting to take in all my info by my ears--I have a much easier time reading it, or making notes while I'm listening to something so I read it. I also have taken to watching videos with subtitles/closed captioning on.

shanie5

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 6:54 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
I was well into adulthood when I realized that while my hearing, objectively, is very good, even excellent (I hear all kinds of frequencies very well based on the routine tests I get at work), I have a hard time as a result understanding what people say--especially if there is other background noise. It's not uncommon at larger social events that everyone else seems to understand each other and I sometimes have no idea what someone is saying to me. Hearing so many frequencies so well means I have a lot of input for my brain to process and filter. So, it's exhausting to take in all my info by my ears--I have a much easier time reading it, or making notes while I'm listening to something so I read it. I also have taken to watching videos with subtitles/closed captioning on.

Google "hidden hearing loss". You describe it very well.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 7:15 pm
shanie5 wrote:

Wow! That’s so interesting!!!

gggo

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 7:18 pm
shanie5 wrote:

I have the same. Can hear many frequencies, but difficulty in noisy environments.
This is very interesting. Thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics