Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Strep vs something deeper

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 8:55 am
Whenever my 8 year old has strep it’s never fever. Sometimes throat hurts. Def behavioral changes. This going on for years. I give antibiotics and it gets better. Just happened again. Throat was hurting , leg was hurting, lots of baby talk and some hyperactivity. Got amoxicillin after a few doses it’s all improved. My question is should I dig deeper?

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 9:02 am
Yes, you should. Strep or any infection or immune event causing behavioral changes is a sign that the body is mistakenly attacking the brain instead of just the strep.

What is his baseline? After it gets better, how is his behavior?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 9:05 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Yes, you should. Strep or any infection or immune event causing behavioral changes is a sign that the body is mistakenly attacking the brain instead of just the strep.

What is his baseline? After it gets better, how is his behavior?

What would be the treatment? More antibiotics? Even though he’s already taking now?

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 9:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What would be the treatment? More antibiotics? Even though he’s already taking now?
Yes, longer courses of antibiotics can give the immune system a chance to rest and reset. Anti inflammatories can really help take down the inflammation. Digging even deeper you may want to address why he keeps getting strep, and why his immune system turned on itself.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 9:08 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Yes, longer courses of antibiotics can give the immune system a chance to rest and reset. Anti inflammatories can really help take down the inflammation. Digging even deeper you may want to address why he keeps getting strep, and why his immune system turned on itself.

Thank you. This is my gut feeling but it’s so overwhelming I don’t know where to start.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 9:09 am
I don't think it's cause for alarm. My pediatrician never had an issue with a child that the only symptoms were behavioral for strept. (she's a believer in pandas as well and she never mentioned anything)

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 9:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you. This is my gut feeling but it’s so overwhelming I don’t know where to start.
Yes, it’s overwhelming. You can start small by asking for a longer course of antibiotics.

amother
Oldlace

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 9:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

NO.
The antibiotics is not helping as you see for yourself.
Gut health has scientifically been linked to behavioral and mental health issues. Many studies backing that up.
Antibiotics destroys gut health even more. If you need it fine but if you've tried and it didn't help....why make the problem worse.
Antibiotics forces the active infection into hiding. The minute the pathogen feels safe to come out of hiding it's back again.
You should be focusing on getting to those bacteria virus or fungus that are hiding out.
You should ask focus on improving gut health.
I suggest an experienced alternative medical practitioner.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 10:00 am
OP this is a very common presentation of strep. I believe it is related to Pandas.
Some of my kids have that as well, only behavioral symptoms.
For us, antibiotics does work. After a couple of days, kid is back to normal.
Bh not having recurring infections, so antibiotics has been working for us.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics