Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Wear to a wedding, not immediate family, Lakewood

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 8:37 pm
Hi ladies,

What do aunts wear at the weddings of their nieces/nephews in Lakewood?
What do the cousins of the chosson/kallah wear?

Gowns? Regular shabbos clothes? Do they buy super fancy non-gown dresses?

Asking as an aunt from out-of-town, with no family in Lakewood.

Thank you!!

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 8:39 pm
All of the above! Some dress in gowns, some in more formal/long, and some in regular things they’d wear to any other wedding

oneofakind

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 8:42 pm
I second that. If there are other aunts I'd ask what they're planning to wear and go with that.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 8:44 pm
We were in this situation a few months ago. We wore 'less fancy' wedding clothes (skirts and tops) for the women folk.

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 8:59 pm
oneofakind wrote:
I second that. If there are other aunts I'd ask what they're planning to wear and go with that.

Thank you to all respondents!
If there's only one other aunt on my side, can I just find out what she is wearing, or should I find out about the who-know-how-many aunts from the other side?

(Not related all to me. For example, if I am the kallah's aunt from Detroit, and kallah has one more aunt from Phoenix, do I have to care about all the tri-state area chosson relative's? All these places are totally random.... Except for the tri-state folks! Wink

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 9:02 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:
We were in this situation a few months ago. We wore 'less fancy' wedding clothes (skirts and tops) for the women folk.

What are shirts and tips? Clothes you'd wear to a regular bar mitzva kiddush that your neighbor made, or do you mean fancy, sequined tips, and a floor-length skirt?

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 9:06 pm
amother wrote:
What are shirts and tips? Clothes you'd wear to a regular bar mitzva kiddush that your neighbor made, or do you mean fancy, sequined tips, and a floor-length skirt?

In my family the aunts wear either that or a floor length dress. Not like a poofy kind of gown.

It's totally fine for all aunts on one side to be dressed in one style and all aunts on the other side to be more/less dressy.

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 9:36 pm
I wear the same kind of thing I would wear to any wedding when one of my cousins get married. Fancy but not a gown. Exception being the cousin I’m closest to (we grew up like sisters), where I wore a simple long dress.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 10:02 pm
Really depends on the family. For one of my cousins, my aunt told us the color of the wedding, said no pressure to wear a gown/the color at all. In the end, we all wore real gowns in the color family pretty much. For another cousin, on the other side of the family, we would probably just wear very fancy wedding clothing but not gowns and not necessarily in the color.

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Jan 05 2019, 10:12 pm
Thank you so much, ladies!!!

Shuly

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 10:19 am
I wore a gown to my niece's wedding in Lakewood, but we are very close. Not all of her aunts wore gowns.

Chayalle

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 7:29 pm
Shuly wrote:
I wore a gown to my niece's wedding in Lakewood, but we are very close. Not all of her aunts wore gowns.

Same.

Those who didn't wear gowns were very dressy even in shorter clothes. Ditto for cousins.

MrsDash

Post Sun, Jan 06 2019, 7:36 pm
I wore dresses to the weddings of all my nephews, nieces, great-nephews, and great-nieces. No gowns here.

*ETA in Lakewood.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 10:01 pm
I know this is an old thread, but I have the same question. Can someone post links of ideas for me as the aunt and for the cousins of what would be appropriate in the fancy but not a propper gown sort of range? Thanks!

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 4:11 pm
no one? I would really appreciate the help as I am not a great shopper. I need for myself and 3 teenage daughters. Also a few younger girls, but I think that might be easier, but if you have suggestions for them as well, I would appreciate it

m-u-a-mama

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 6:22 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
no one? I would really appreciate the help as I am not a great shopper. I need for myself and 3 teenage daughters. Also a few younger girls, but I think that might be easier, but if you have suggestions for them as well, I would appreciate it

I don't have pics but for little girls you can do poufy party dress style
Older girls and you- a long dress but let's say straighter, not puffy, lace, ankle length type. Like the simpler needle&thread gowns

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 6:45 pm
My girls ended up wearing very fancy dresses/jumpers that are not floor length, but were very dressy/gown style.

I ended up in early-ish maternity (5 months) so I decided that I could wear whatever. I writes a shabbos top and shabbos diet and felt just fine.

The tristate other side were fancier, but I was okay

I made sure to have shaitel done professionally, instead of in my own, and watched lots of youtube makeup videos and bought more makeup- eye shadow, setting spray, foundation etc to make myself feel prettier

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 10:24 pm
Thank you for the replies.
I looked up needle and thread...really beautiful stuff, but the lowest price I see is high 300's and it goes up to over 1000. Is there anything like this that is more affordable?

cupcake123

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 10:31 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Thank you for the replies.
I looked up needle and thread...really beautiful stuff, but the lowest price I see is high 300's and it goes up to over 1000. Is there anything like this that is more affordable?

What size are you ? I have a needle and thread gown. More summery though
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics