Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Lakewood Bridal Gown Gmach for New Geiyores

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 10:05 pm
Hi, a young lady is becoming a geiyores and getting married right before Pesach. She asked me to help her find a gown for her wedding, but she won't let me accompany her to navigate the shopping in Lakewood. Can you please recommend a Gmach that will lend or rent her a gown very inexpensively? The Gmach should be staffed by kind people that will help her, as I know she will feel overwhelmed and nervous of both the gown shopping and the unfamiliar culture in Lakewood. Thank you

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 9:25 am
Bump

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 10:03 am
I really dont mean to be harsh. But she should absolutely have someone accompany her. Or she should be prepared to tell her whole story so that ppl will be nice to her. But if she looks like a regular woman, which I'm sure she does, and she shows up alone being clueless, she will probably have a horrible experience. People here are really amazing. But there is a social code of conduct that is so detailed, that if you look the part, but don't really know the part, it can be a recipe for disaster.

amother
Watermelon

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 10:23 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I really dont mean to be harsh. But she should absolutely have someone accompany her. Or she should be prepared to tell her whole story so that ppl will be nice to her. But if she looks like a regular woman, which I'm sure she does, and she shows up alone being clueless, she will probably have a horrible experience. People here are really amazing. But there is a social code of conduct that is so detailed, that if you look the part, but don't really know the part, it can be a recipe for disaster.

I’m FFB but not from Lakewood (not yeshivish) so I found this post so curious. Can you expound on what the code of culture is that would make it hard for an outsider to go gown shopping?

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 10:30 am
I’m a giyores and I disagree! Most people in Lakewood are very nice! And people aren’t stupid - if she’s shopping alone for a wedding gown they will chap and give extra help and care. I agree that it’s best if she can have someone accompany her, though.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 10:32 am
What size is she? What style gown is she looking for?

amother
Watermelon

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 10:35 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I’m a giyores and I disagree! Most people in Lakewood are very nice! And people aren’t stupid - if she’s shopping alone for a wedding gown they will chap and give extra help and care. I agree that it’s best if she can have someone accompany her, though.

Is that what it is? Going alone? I went alone for my wedding gown. I brought my mom to lager fittings but my initial visit was alone. I didn’t realize that was something so unusual.

amother
Broom

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 10:36 am
I don't know the phone number but Bodner has a gemach with beautiful gowns for no charge. I think is called Ateres Esther or something similar and the number is probably in the Lakewood Directory in the yellow pages under gemachs

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 10:48 am
amother [ Watermelon ] wrote:
Is that what it is? Going alone? I went alone for my wedding gown. I brought my mom to lager fittings but my initial visit was alone. I didn’t realize that was something so unusual.

Wedding dress shopping you usually bring a sister friend or mother. But why does it matter if she’s a giyores?

amother
Watermelon

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 10:57 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Wedding dress shopping you usually bring a sister friend or mother. But why does it matter if she’s a giyores?

Eh maybe but I didn’t realize they in and of itself going alone was so strange.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 12:05 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:

I completely agree with you. She won't look the part or act the part, she is really quite clueless. I have no idea why she won't let me help her, she is so hard to read. I don't want to set her up for disaster, but what can I do?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 12:06 pm
amother [ Broom ] wrote:
I don't know the phone number but Bodner has a gemach with beautiful gowns for no charge. I think is called Ateres Esther or something similar and the number is probably in the Lakewood Directory in the yellow pages under gemachs

Please give me more information about this...can anyone help me with phone numbers or something?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 12:07 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:

I hope you're right. I hope she doesn't come away feeling stupid and completely stressed.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 2:03 pm
When you have the right information, call the gemach and let them know the situation. I'm sure they will be happy to give her the extra time and attention.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 11:11 pm
Stern's is where everyone goes. Anyone has their contact info?

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 11:24 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:

What do you mean? What kind of conduct makes you seem “the part”? Laugh
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics