Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Do you do your own nails?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 11:59 am
I get manicures once in a while but DH really likes them and it adds up so qucikly.

I want to learn how to do it on my own. Any proffesionals out there that can give tips? What color/brand do you reccomend for a light but noticeable pink? Do I need a separate base and top coat? How do I dry it without those machines?
Any techniques to get the polish on without lines?

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 12:48 pm
I always do my nails myself
I have the Essie basecoat:
https://www.target.com/p/essie.....aw.ds
And the Essie twist bottle gel top coat:
https://www.target.com/p/essie.....aw.ds
I find that this gives a really nice smooth look even with regular nail polish underneath. I don't use the twist bottle nail polish.
I do 1 coat base, 2 coats polish, 1 coat top coat.
The hardest part for me is letting them dry nicely, and not using my hands until they are completely dry.
Tips for not getting it on your fingers around your nails -
Either have Dh do it so it's neater (I taught dh and he got really good at it LOL ) or do it the night before you shower in the morning and the nail polish on your skin will come off in the shower.
Good luck!

SG18

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 12:49 pm
I do my nails on my own. Ballet Slipper by Essie is my favorite pale pink.
I have separate base and top coats, and sit and wait for my nails to dry. I do one layer base coat, two layers of color, one of top coat.
It works really well, if I'm patient. But I'm new to it, and the nail polish often gets on my fingers. The excess comes off in the shower, and then I've gotten many comments about my manicure.

Aurora

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 12:57 pm
I used to do it more, but am no professional. Usually a base coat, 2 coats (more if fancy/designs) then a top coat.

Not sure about brands.

Paint your nails in 1 swipe down from the top to bottom. Do a middle swipe first, then one on each side. Wait for it to dry before another coat.

Give your nails about 10 minutes of drying time per coat.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 12:59 pm
I use a nail strengthening base, apply 2 coats polish (I usually use the Essie twisted bottles) and 1 coat insta-dri topcoat.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000.....psc=1

The insta-dri topcoat is a game changer. Really dries it quick.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 1:01 pm
If you have patience, set up a fan on the table near you so you can put your nails out in front of it to dry quicker between coats.

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 1:02 pm
I do it myself, but I only do one coat of color and nothing else. It's quicker. Smile

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 1:04 pm
thanks everyone! What about prepping your nails? how do you cut/file/buff etc and how do you do the cuticles

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 1:07 pm
I do it all the time and always get compliments. I like Essie gel...the twisted bottle. No base coat is needed. I do 2 layers of color, let it dry for a few minutes and one layer of topcoat. If you have shaky hands, rest your elbow on the table for more control. I just trim my nails at this point for prep...don't cut cuticles..push them back and it will train them not to grow.

Aurora

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 1:09 pm
First cut nails, then file cut down so it's nice. I like a soft curved shape (almondish?)

Would suggest washing hands with a sugar scrub before manicure. Put moisturizer on hands after finishing the manicure because it will be hard for polish to stick otherwise.

SG18

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 11:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thanks everyone! What about prepping your nails? how do you cut/file/buff etc and how do you do the cuticles

I use nail clippers, and I bought the little buffing cubes they use at manicurists.
Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z.....YN1HJ

amother
Lily

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 11:35 am
I can only do my nails the week after a manicure. So I would get a manicure, it lasts a week, I take it off and do my nails which lasts another week or so.

I rarely do this because I don’t have time or patience to get my nails done.

ChalieB

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 4:26 am
I love doing my own nails! I recommend OPI or Sally Hansen, I like their wide, flat brushes. I watch an episode of a show while I do my nails and by the time it ends they're usually dry (I like the quick-dry nail polishes)

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 4:32 am
Cirque Colors has the best polishes. They dry pretty fast.

rachelbg

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 7:53 am
I do, and always get compliments. I use an Essie base, nice neutral shades of either Essie or OPI, and a gel-ish Essie top coat.
Tip for smooth, bold nails- load plenty of polish in the brush, so when you glide it on there’s a thick, non-streaky coat. Watch YouTube videos of nail polish application if you need, to see how using more gives that manicure look. Sometimes if you do this well you only need 1 coat of color.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 9:13 am
I’ve been doing my own nails for years. Used to do gel (bought a kit that had a light) and then switched to dip powder a few years ago. It lasts pretty nicely! People always think it was a manicure. For prepping I file (sometimes cut too) and buff with those cubes. I also use a tool that cleans up the cuticles and pushes back the cuticle. Over the years I’ve bought tons of colors. I have my own little salon in my room 😂

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 9:19 am
Has anyone tried expressie? It says no base/topcoat needed, just two coats and quick-drying. Does it look good? And which color is a nice neutral pink?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics