Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
What to learn with almost 3 yr old

smiley:)

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 6:48 am
We just have a new shul built in the neighborhood and shavuot is coming up. I want to send my almost 3 yr old to shul with my husband for a short time to learn on leil shavuot. That way #1 he will be excited about going to the new shul, #2 he will get a small grasp for shavuot and limud Torah, #3 I want them to start to learn together on a somewhat regular basis (maybe weekly... not sure yet).
Does anyone have any idea of what topic/book etc to embark on. Obviously it has to be pretty elementary. I want it to be enjoyable for both as this is his real opening to learning. I am open to suggestions.

Tamiri

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 7:08 am
(1) How are you going to get him to stay up late enough for the layl limud?
(2) If you do keep him awake, how long do you think that will last in shul?

Just curious.

Right now is a good time to be learning Shavuot songs such as "Hashem gave us a present, do you know what it was? He gave us the Torah and we must keep it's laws...." if you know that one.
You can talk about Bnai Yisrael accepting Hashem's torah as opposed to the other nations.
You can talk about Har Sinai, and the preparations. Then, what the world was like at Matan Torah.

I don't think you need a specific book for that. Look up ideas and stories on the internet.

As far as shul... doesn't he go with Abba on a regular basis on Friday night/Shabbat? Or was the shul too far up till now?

smiley:)

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 7:26 am
If he has a nap during the day (which he often does anyway) he can stay up for an extra 1/2 hr after dinner no problem. I am sure not making him stay up for the night!!!!! Just a short short time. I think if it is more than that anyway he will lost interest. He is little. I just want him to enjoy going to shul with Abba and feel like the big ppl who learn etc.

I sure am preparing him for Shavuot with songs etc. The question is what he can learn on a really simplistic level with my husband? - To start on shavuot and continue.

No he doesnt usually go with my husband. I think he would have a hard time keeping quiet etc. (he is not 3 yet). But if he could go for just a short time to be one on one with my husband, he sure is capable of learning something.
I do want to start going for just a song or something during kabbalat shabbat but I also think shavuot could be a good time ot start a learning type thing. Maybe I am far off. I'm open to listen.

gryp

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 9:02 am
I'm not sure what kind of learning sessions you have in mind but how about Parsha? Brachos on food (maybe he can taste different foods that way Wink )? Mishnayos Baal Peh through songs?
Doesn't Artscroll have a nice children's book for Pirkei Avos? Maybe he would enjoy that and that will last for the next few months at least.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics