Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
School in Monsey

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 5:36 pm
Ok, I looked into schools in monsey..

I think the chabad cheder for the boys will be just fine..

My daughter, I need a bigger school that is more understanding...
The class at chabad is too small for her, and her obvious lackings would be noticed easily.

any suggestions? Because I need to start contacting them, and set up meets...etc

I need phone numbers and contacts

amother

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 8:48 pm
I'm sorry if you've mentioned this in other posts and I'm not aware of it, but could you tell us more specifically what your daughter is like?

I taught at two schools in Monsey and I still have friends there, so I'd like to help you if I can.

I'm not sure what you mean by "obvious lackings," but if you're talking about learning disabilities and that sort of thing, Yeshiva of Spring Valley is very on the ball and offers lots of professional help. However, it can be hard to get in. Whether you like YSV or not would depend a lot on your hashkafos too, of course.

bashinda

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 9:10 pm
I can't help but I think perhaps if you would be more specific? there are a lot of girls' schools in monsey: yeshiva of spring valley, ateres beis yaakov, beis yaakov chofetz chaim, beis rochel probably more.

The rest I'll leave for a local?

oh and does that mean you're moving to Monsey, IY"H?

bashinda

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 9:11 pm
I know someone who had a very hard time trying to get her daughter resource room at YSV but maybe she was an exception?

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 9:13 pm
last year they diagnosed her with learning disability, due to ADHD and PTSD (due to abuse etc)

This year, we think it could be dysgraphia, and hopefully she will be re-evaluated at year end. They set up a special learning program for her, she has individual english and hebrew 2-3 times a week. She is up to level if you talk to her verbally. I.e. when they have discussions in the regular class she is able to keep up, because it's verbal.

Her real weakness is written, because she missed most of kindergarten and first while dealing with us leaving my abusive x husband.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 1:39 am
Do you *have* to move to Monsey? The school situation can be challenging.

Are you sure the Chabad school is not workable? The lady who runs it is super sweet. You write that your daughter's "lackings" would be too noticeable in a smaller class, but believe me, kids notice everything no matter what size class they're in. With the Chabad school you don't have the problems of fitting in which you might find in some of the other schools.

I would not recommend Beis Rochel for your daughter (great school, but for kids who fit a certain very haimishe mold).

Bais Yaakov Chofetz Chaim might be an option. They are big on warmth and achdus. A very nice staff and the girls seem lovely.

ASHAR would offer good academics and professional services. They are MO, though, so it would depend on how you felt about that. Nice, bright kids.

YSV, like I said earlier, might be a good choice.

You might want to call Rabbi Yaakov Horowitz at Darchei Noam and ask his advice for your situation. He's very on top of things about chinuch, and kind and approachable. (Sure he's famous, but don't be shy--he's really nice!)

Hatzlacha raba!

(I just wanted to add my 2 cents: if you have the option of moving to a smaller, more out of town community, that might be better for your daughter. Here's why:

1. Big NY/NJ communities have many schools, and each one "specializes" in a different type of student. There'll be a school for families that are a shtickel chasidish; one for families who are yeshivish but "with it"; one for families that are machmir MO; one for MOs who are very to the left; one for...whatever, you get my point. They're all catering to a different crowd. The problem is, what if you don't fit into any of those categories? It can be tough to get into a school if you don't fit the mold. And, if you do get in, she might have a hard time making friends. The kids are used to classmates who are really similar to themselves. It can be hard.

2. There are more students vying for the same few spots in each class. Siblings and families with "pull" get priority. And here you are, a BT single mom with not a lot of money. It could be hard. I say this as someone who was in a *very* similar circumstance, and I'm not trying to scare you, just telling you about something I didn't know about until I saw it firsthand.

Now, if you were to move to a smaller community, they *want* more students in the local school. I'm thinking of places like Baltimore, Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee. There's like one or two schools that you might send to. So there's a whole range of families who send to the schools, and the kids are used to getting along with all types. And you don't have to fight to get your kid in so hard, because it's not like you have to be one "type" to get in. What about Pittsburgh? I know you're Lubavitch. I don't know anything about Pittsburgh, but my friend loved it there. It's supposed to be small and warm and friendly.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 6:11 am
Monsey is a great warm community. Bas Mikrah, Chofetz Chaim, or YSV sound like good options. YSV is probably most open to challenges. If you are more Heimish than that, Bais Rochel is also equipped to deal with learning disabilities. They have the resource room and self contained class.

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 7:06 am
Yes monsey is the only option.. We are ready for a bigger frum community.

I am still waiting to hear a definite from RCC, but they did say that either way I could start nursing school in spring. So it seems like my best bet for finishing my degree.

IY"H the boys will be at the chabad cheder. I will try to bring all three kids to meet there but someone else suggested Bais Yaakov Ohel Vichna

I will try to call today and see..

raizy

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 2:41 am
no dont go there Bais Yaakov Ohel Vichna my sister sent there for one yr. they dont have a building they have different basements for every class. and they only want the super rich. u have to pay an arm and a leg. she left for bais yaakov of piamona very nice school. and well astablished.

shoy18

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 9:41 am
maybe look into Ateres Bais Yaakov for your daughter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating