Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Anyone feel like you just cannot do it??

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 12:11 am
Preparing all these meals is just getting too hard for me. Due to allergies cannot rely on takeout. Nobody to go to for meals. Prefer milchigs for at least the day meals. Don't have a lot of kitchen apparatus or space. Anybody relate? Have super simple menus (with healthy options) and advice.
I am so burnt out.

amother
Freesia

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 12:30 am
I Relate. But have so many allergies, won't be having any milky meals. Not in the mood of doing anything...

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 2:01 am
I feel for
You… I have each kid on a dif diet due to allergies and the pickiness level is the next level in this house, working till right before yom tov, feel like my food never is exciting bec it takes so much time and effort . Feel like my neighbors food always gets my husband excited and I fail in that area, I just can’t do it with work and kids and everything going on…. So I get it, even though my situation is dif than yours . My husband told me don’t make a cheese cake (I always manage to flop them no matter how hard I try ) and the neighbor is so nice sends a tray of her gourmet cheese cake she makes. My husband devours it: I want him to devour my food but I just can’t be like her and it eats me up. Didn’t mean to derail this thread sorry if I did.

imaima

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 2:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Preparing all these meals is just getting too hard for me. Due to allergies cannot rely on takeout. Nobody to go to for meals. Prefer milchigs for at least the day meals. Don't have a lot of kitchen apparatus or space. Anybody relate? Have super simple menus (with healthy options) and advice.
I am so burnt out.

Me too.

amother
Dandelion

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 2:54 am
I totally relate.

I've never actually stayed home for all 6 meals of a 3 day yom tov before. We normally get invited out but we did for pesach so we've invited family for 2 meals and I'm so not in the mood because I have to also have a shabbos day meal and all the other food! I'm just doing really simple. I'm working and my baby isn't letting me sleep much so I have to cut corners somewhere..

Good luck!

womanwithaplan

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 6:49 am
amother [ Whitesmoke ] wrote:
I feel for
You… I have each kid on a dif diet due to allergies and the pickiness level is the next level in this house, working till right before yom tov, feel like my food never is exciting bec it takes so much time and effort . Feel like my neighbors food always gets my husband excited and I fail in that area, I just can’t do it with work and kids and everything going on…. So I get it, even though my situation is dif than yours . My husband told me don’t make a cheese cake (I always manage to flop them no matter how hard I try ) and the neighbor is so nice sends a tray of her gourmet cheese cake she makes. My husband devours it: I want him to devour my food but I just can’t be like her and it eats me up. Didn’t mean to derail this thread sorry if I did.

Hey, your value is not dependent on how well you cook! I'm sure you have many other wonderful qualities to offer. And your neighbor has her own shortcomings. Cooking well is not the "be all end all" of marriage lol.

It seems like you are interpreting your husband's reaction to the neighbor's cooking as a "rejection" of yourself but maybe you are reading too much into it? I can identify with this way of thinking. Many times it comes from low self esteem...

womanwithaplan

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 6:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am so burnt out.

No advice but I feel for you OP! It's a difficult spot to be in. Hug

Heyaaa

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 7:05 am
If you explain what you can’t eat and what kind of foods you like, healthy and junk, maybe we can help.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:17 pm
Gluten free-and hoping for milchigs by day.
And most of that includes things that adults would not eat.( half of people can't have or don't like milchigs-except children really like)
Adults don't want creamy, cheesy stuff. Prefer for adults Healthy, low cholesterol/low fat. I do not like not clean ingredients in general like whip, margarine, mayonnaise etc. Meaning not into shortcut recipes that use junk . Do not like pie fillings, do not like things made with corn syrup. I have one oven, which could be made whatever I want-milchig, fleishig to reheat things.

I still have not started shopping or cooking at all!

amother
Hyssop

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And most of that includes things that adults would not eat.( half of people can't have or don't like milchigs-except children really like)
Adults don't want creamy, cheesy stuff. Prefer for adults Healthy, low cholesterol/low fat. I do not like not clean ingredients in general like whip, margarine, mayonnaise etc. Meaning not into shortcut recipes that use junk . Do not like pie fillings, do not like things made with corn syrup. I have one oven, which could be made whatever I want-milchig, fleishig to reheat things.

I cook clean and gluten free but not low fat. For my milchig meal meals I’m serving

salmon cubes dipped in avocado mayo and breaded with rories crumb coating
Brocolli bites from busy in Brooklyn
Brown rice fettucine with mushrooms and sauce made of garlic, heavy cream and a bit of cream cheese
Strawberry shortcake: gf vanilla cookies, macerated strawberries and whipped cream

Moroccan side of salmon
Brown rice penne with marinara and heavy cream
Feta broccoli bake
Key lime pie: gf snickerdoodles, lemon custard and whipped cream

At night I’m serving:
Gefilte fish and dips
Cream of chicken soup
French roast baked with tomato sauce, a bit of wine and sautéed onions
Minute roast with onions, mushrooms and wine the second night
Rice with roasted vegetables
Cucumber salad
Gluten free peach blueberry crumble

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:52 pm
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:
I cook clean and gluten free but not low fat. For my milchig meal meals I’m serving

salmon cubes dipped in avocado mayo and breaded with rories crumb coating
Brocolli bites from busy in Brooklyn
Brown rice fettucine with mushrooms and sauce made of garlic, heavy cream and a bit of cream cheese
Strawberry shortcake: gf vanilla cookies, macerated strawberries and whipped cream

Moroccan side of salmon
Brown rice penne with marinara and heavy cream
Feta broccoli bake
Key lime pie: gf snickerdoodles, lemon custard and whipped cream

At night I’m serving:
Gefilte fish and dips
Cream of chicken soup
French roast baked with tomato sauce, a bit of wine and sautéed onions
Minute roast with onions, mushrooms and wine the second night
Rice with roasted vegetables
Cucumber salad
Gluten free peach blueberry crumble

Oh thanks for these great ideas!
Will have to see what there is actually time left to do as I really have so little time left to shop and cook.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Mayonnaise is very clean if you do your own. Eggs oil salt vinegar or lemon and mustard. Some add a pinch of sugar.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:58 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Mayonnaise is very clean if you do your own. Eggs oil salt vinegar or lemon and mustard. Some add a pinch of sugar.

No time to make my own mayo, but thanks (and not sure about raw eggs)-
Really need tips for a simple Shavuos menu with healthy options.

amother
Hyssop

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 4:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh thanks for these great ideas!
Will have to see what there is actually time left to do as I really have so little time left to shop and cook.
Good luck !

The pastas can easily be made on yt if you leave on a flame.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 5:04 pm
OP have you ever made the Daiya Mac and cheese? It's dairy free and GF. We do all fleishig meals (nobody in this house does great with dairy) and I prepare this for one meal for my kids so they don't feel bad their missing out on all the creamy, goo-ey cheesy things their friends and neighbors are all eating. I make it ahead and reheat in a casserole. Everything else I'm making is just basic clean food. Really simple. Baked chicken, baked sweet potatoes, roasted veggies.....

Reality

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 5:05 pm
So easy to make healthy meals if you aren't looking to save on money.

In the broiler you can grill chicken cutlets, cut up chicken (I prefer in 1/8's because it cooks more evenly)) and or steak. Serve over or with a big tossed salad. Side dish can be roasted cubed potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Or make salmon with a spice rub. Serve with a brown rice pilaf and a spinach kugel.

For dairy make a big Greek salad with feta cheese. If you want you can make pasta for the kids. I'd make a lower fat fish like flounder to balance out the healthy fats in the salad.

Buy melons to cut up for dessert.

I'd serve the same things at the night meals and again do repeats for the day meals. Cuts down on your cooking time. Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 6:53 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
OP have you ever made the Daiya Mac and cheese? It's dairy free and GF. We do all fleishig meals (nobody in this house does great with dairy) and I prepare this for one meal for my kids so they don't feel bad their missing out on all the creamy, goo-ey cheesy things their friends and neighbors are all eating. I make it ahead and reheat in a casserole. Everything else I'm making is just basic clean food. Really simple. Baked chicken, baked sweet potatoes, roasted veggies.....

No never made it. Do kids taste the difference though since it is dairy free ?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 6:56 pm
Reality wrote:
So easy to make healthy meals if you aren't looking to save on money.

In the broiler you can grill chicken cutlets, cut up chicken (I prefer in 1/8's because it cooks more evenly)) and or steak. Serve over or with a big tossed salad. Side dish can be roasted cubed potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Or make salmon with a spice rub. Serve with a brown rice pilaf and a spinach kugel.

For dairy make a big Greek salad with feta cheese. If you want you can make pasta for the kids. I'd make a lower fat fish like flounder to balance out the healthy fats in the salad.

Buy melons to cut up for dessert.

I'd serve the same things at the night meals and again do repeats for the day meals. Cuts down on your cooking time. Good luck!

Thank you!
I feel like people get tired of fleishigs for three days of seudas ( Shabbos going into Yom Tov) but this is starting to help me figure things out better.

ila

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 7:49 pm
You can make petit pua, artichoke bottoms with lemon, broccoli cauliflower string beans…
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking