Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Can you have Shabbos company during 9 Days

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 8:40 am
Can you have Shabbos company( not family) next week , at the beginning of the 9 Days, not in 2 weeks when Tisha Ba’v is the next day?

amother
Crocus

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 8:46 am
Yes. The laws of mourning do not apply on Shabbat.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 7:01 am
Yes, but the day before Tisha B’av we don’t have company. So wanted to know about the 9 days.

amother
Springgreen

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 7:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, but the day before Tisha B’av we don’t have company. So wanted to know about the 9 days.

What does this mean? We've always had people who needed a place for the seuda hamafsekes before the past. Not for fun. I mean someone who was alone.

LisaS

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 7:33 am
Yes you may. There is nothing different on Shabbat in the nine days.

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 7:43 am
Please note that this year, there are issues with having guests for pleasure on the Shabbos that actually is when Tisha Bav falls (doesn't apply to if they need a place.) But the week before is fine.

imanotmommy

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 7:46 am
LisaS wrote:
Yes you may. There is nothing different on Shabbat in the nine days.

Actually, there are some halachos specific to Shabbos that is on the 9th of Av. It's a good idea for everyone to find a list, because not everyone is aware. Usually someone hangs up a sign in our shul before Shabbos.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 8:49 am
amother [ Springgreen ] wrote:
What does this mean? We've always had people who needed a place for the seuda hamafsekes before the past. Not for fun. I mean someone who was alone.

I'm pretty sure that's not a problem. Also for standard aveilus.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 10:06 am
amother [ Pistachio ] wrote:
Please note that this year, there are issues with having guests for pleasure on the Shabbos that actually is when Tisha Bav falls (doesn't apply to if they need a place.) But the week before is fine.
I dont think this is correct as on shabbat we are not supposed to be mournful (even if it is actually 9 av) not even during seuda shlishit which usually is a mournful seuda mafseket.
Here are two links to the halachot for 9 av when it is nidche from shabbat to sunday:
https://www.ou.org/holidays/wh.....nday/
https://www.chabad.org/library.....y.htm

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 12:02 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I dont think this is correct as on shabbat we are not supposed to be mournful (even if it is actually 9 av) not even during seuda shlishit which usually is a mournful seuda mafseket.
Here are two links to the halachot for 9 av when it is nidche from shabbat to sunday:
https://www.ou.org/holidays/wh.....nday/
https://www.chabad.org/library.....y.htm

There may be differences of opinion. I'm pretty sure that there are some things some say not to do (pleasure walks? Certain types of learning?) in the afternoon. I'll have to look this up. Thanks for the links.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 12:36 pm
There is no official public mourning on Shabbos, but Shabbos that is erev Tisha b'Av acquires a tinge of mourning in the afternoon. Specifically, Seudah Shlishit needs to finish before shkiyah, though there is no limit on what one can eat. You don't eat the egg and ashes which are normally part of the Seudah hamafseket, and you can bensch with a zimun.

If someone is a regular guest, who comes every week they can come as normal, but its not a meal where one should invite guests. The earlier meals I don't think are a problem.

Some people hold that you shouldn't go for pleasure walks that afternoon, and some will only learn Torah that is permitted on Tisha b'Av. These are all modifications in ones behaviour, not public signs of mourning.

During a regular year, when Shabbos does not go into Tisha b'Av, I think one is not meant to have guests for the seuda hamafseket, and even within the family there is an inyan to eat somewhat separately, to avoid the requirement to bensch with a zimun. It never occured to me that this was a meal I might have gone out for. I suppose there would be room for exceptions if the guest is unable to prepare a meal himself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note