Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Which is easiest to assemble baby swing, usable on Shabbos

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 10:34 pm
Which is the easiest to assemble baby swing, thats usable on Shabbos?

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 10:35 pm
You can use any swing without turning on the motor. Just give it a little push here and there.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 10:38 pm
amother [ Hydrangea ] wrote:
You can use any swing without turning on the motor. Just give it a little push here and there.

How many times does it go back and forth with just one push? Wouldnt I have to sit there the whole time?

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 10:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How many times does it go back and forth with just one push? Wouldnt I have to sit there the whole time?

Give it a big push, and it'll swing back and forth and then slow down. Yeah, it's annoying, but if the baby is calm, sometimes they're also just comfortable there, even if it's not actually swinging.
I can't imagine there's anything you can use that'll actually swing on Shabbos, but I guess if anyone else has any ideas...

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 10:42 pm
Ooh I love hydrangeas! Very Happy

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 11:35 pm
The really old swings were wind up swings. Those can be uses on shabbos.
You would have to find someone that is likely to have kept theirs or maybe try ebay

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 11:38 pm
Or you can ask your rabbi about putting the swing on a timer
Or leave it on all shabbos
Depends how desperate you are

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 11:43 pm
Get one that plugs in and leave on all shabbos or just push it...

nicole81

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 11:44 pm
I used to have a one of the less popular graco swings, completely low frills but better made and slightly more expensive, that worked using an electric pendulum mechanism. If you hold it down so it doesn't move, it still clicks the pendulum with the same movement and rhythm. I used to leave that swing on every single shabbat and yom tov with one of my kids. BH it lasted until she could sleep without it. And then it died about 3 months into my next kid lol but he didn't need it.

I would look for one with a pendulum mechanism, as that's one that's most likely to be permissible. Of course this also depends on other features as well and ask your LOR.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 11:59 pm
I had the fisher price snugapuppy I just left it plugged in and it would swing a whole shabbos

myname1

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 4:13 am
I haven't done this or asked about it- just an idea. I'd imagine putting the baby in, thereby stopping a moving swing, could be an issue. (which is I guess why someone above mentioned a pendulum mechanism?) So could you leave it on on a shabbos clock all shabbos, making it turn off every half hour or whatever for like 5 minutes to put the baby in? So you would need to wait until it turns off to put the baby in, and then also to take baby out, but they could swing in between? I know some people wait for the fridge motor to stop to open it, so same idea. But that might be difficult with a cranky baby, to wait for going in and wait for coming out. So this is probably just theoretical.

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 7:27 am
I used to have a graco wind up swing. It went for 13 .
When that wasn’t enough for a certain baby who slept in it all night (and I woke up every 13 minutes to rewind) I bought a motorized swing (with a plug). I left it on all night, all shabbos even over a 3 day yomtov. It was a life saver. I used it for a few kids and it the motor was always strong.

nicole81

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 7:42 am
myname1 wrote:
I haven't done this or asked about it- just an idea. I'd imagine putting the baby in, thereby stopping a moving swing, could be an issue. (which is I guess why someone above mentioned a pendulum mechanism?) So could you leave it on on a shabbos clock all shabbos, making it turn off every half hour or whatever for like 5 minutes to put the baby in? So you would need to wait until it turns off to put the baby in, and then also to take baby out, but they could swing in between? I know some people wait for the fridge motor to stop to open it, so same idea. But that might be difficult with a cranky baby, to wait for going in and wait for coming out. So this is probably just theoretical.

Yup, that's why I mentioned the pendulum. There's zero issues with stopping the swing because the motor keeps churning exactly the same with no change when you stop the swing.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 2:48 pm
Because were not handy, I edited to ask:

Which is the easiest to assemble baby swing, thats usable on Shabbos?

tia

bump
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note