Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Camp Kol Torah vs Camp Bonim

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 9:26 am
This is my son's first year (going into 7th) going to sleepaway camp and we are trying to decide between Kol Torah and Bonim. We are OOT. Can anyone with experience elaborate on the merits of one camp vs the other, or factors we should take into consideration to help choose? Thank you!

amother
Honey

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 10:00 am
Does he know anyone going to either camp? Sleepaway for the first time can be hard enough, so going with a friend or two can make a big difference in terms of his happiness.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 10:05 am
Yes, he has friends going to both.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 11:14 am
I have no experience with Kol Torah, but we are very happy with Camp Bonim. Great staff, nice boys from all over (we also live OOT) and my boys thrive there. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 11:16 am
I am also OOT and my son is the same age and wants to go this summer. My big issue is that I don't want to put him on a plane for his first summer away so I am only looking at closer options so Kol Torah came up and Agudah Midwest.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 11:40 am
amother Turquoise wrote:
I have no experience with Kol Torah, but we are very happy with Camp Bonim. Great staff, nice boys from all over (we also live OOT) and my boys thrive there. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks! What are the boys like hashkafically? Any exposure concerns?
Is the camp well run and responsible, or more heimish?

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 11:57 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks! What are the boys like hashkafically? Any exposure concerns?
Is the camp well run and responsible, or more heimish?

There is a difference between 1st half and 2nd half, although I wouldn't be concerned with either for going into 7th. As the boys get older, 2nd half is more white shirts because of the yeshivas the boys go to. I do not have exposure concerns for either. The learning Rebbes are great and there are options for extra learning for those that want it, but it's fine not to do the extras.

Definitely well run, but in a relaxed atmosphere, which is what my boys love. One of my boys hates swimming and they don't make him go. He literally wore his bathing suit once, when they went to a water park. They have a hiking day and the boys get to choose how long/strenuous a hike they want to go on. There is time in the afternoon for them to "chill" and my son and his friend would go fishing. I think this is what makes them such a great camp - good, wholesome fun in a structured environment but with flexibility.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 12:15 pm
amother Turquoise wrote:
There is a difference between 1st half and 2nd half, although I wouldn't be concerned with either for going into 7th. As the boys get older, 2nd half is more white shirts because of the yeshivas the boys go to. I do not have exposure concerns for either. The learning Rebbes are great and there are options for extra learning for those that want it, but it's fine not to do the extras.

Definitely well run, but in a relaxed atmosphere, which is what my boys love. One of my boys hates swimming and they don't make him go. He literally wore his bathing suit once, when they went to a water park. They have a hiking day and the boys get to choose how long/strenuous a hike they want to go on. There is time in the afternoon for them to "chill" and my son and his friend would go fishing. I think this is what makes them such a great camp - good, wholesome fun in a structured environment but with flexibility.

Thanks, this is very helpful! It's nice that they allow flexibility in the activities, but one of the reasons camps are usually so strict with activities is for safety. How do they allow boys to go off to the lake on their own; is there supervision?

Also, when you need to get through to the camp office or if a kid is sick, are they responsive?

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 12:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks, this is very helpful! It's nice that they allow flexibility in the activities, but one of the reasons camps are usually so strict with activities is for safety. How do they allow boys to go off to the lake on their own; is there supervision?

Also, when you need to get through to the camp office or if a kid is sick, are they responsive?

They are not on their own - there is a ton of staff, aside from the 2 counselors per bunk. They have someone in charge of water activities and someone in charge of horses, etc.

The camp nurse, Mrs. Guttman, is amazing. My son had to go to her a couple of times last summer and she was always in touch with me right away and I was able to call her back on her cell phone with questions. The doctor saw my son when needed and the camp ordered a prescription for him and made sure he took it (it was kept at the infirmary, not in his bunk house).

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 12:40 pm
Can you elaborate more on what kinds of boys go there? Hashkafa wise mainly

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 12:40 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:

Im referring to camp bonim

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 12:54 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:

I always have a hard time defining hashkafa since it means different things to different people. It's not super yeshivish, but they are good wholesome boys who daven 3 times a day, learn, and then change into their tiros and t-shirts for sports and other activities. The head staff are all bnei torah who I trust. Are there kids who watch sports games at home? Yes, probably. Am I worried about my boys picking things up at camp I would not approve of? No.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps