Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Running/jogging

elisecohen

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 7:48 am
I would really like to take up jogging and/or running--but has anyone figured out how to do this outdoors in a tznius manner? What's the perfect shirt/skirt to wear? Is it appropriate to do it at all (in a fairly non-busy place, not attracting a lot of attention)?[/I]

shayna82

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 8:09 am
HI. Ive been running for a while now and heres how I do it. I wear a tichel wrapped around, into a bun. I wear a long sleeve tee shirt and a long to the floor skirt. I run where there isnt tons of people, and thats it. some will say that that isnt tznius either, that it dosnt depend on what you wear, just the act alone.. but this is what I do...

good luck

elisecohen

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 11:17 am
Do you find one kind of skirt is better than others at not tangling up your legs?

Emuna

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 11:36 am
Hi Elise,

I'm a baal teshuva so perhaps I'm "over the top" with this, but I do not believe it's tznius even with a skirt and hair covering. In Israel when I was becoming religious I used to jog with a baggy skirt. I spoke to some friends and rebbetzins about it (because I realized as I'd be jogging all the women I saw were WALKING - oops!) and the concensus was that it 100% draws attention and is 100% not tznius, no matter how baggy the clothes.

Now that I'm married my husband says it's a total no-brainer that it draws attention, the opposite of what we're going for.

Just a side note - EVERYONE approves of brisk walking in tznius clothes.

shanie5

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 11:55 am
how about joggin pants under a skirt? and whatever stays on your head.
as for tznius aspect of it, if you go to an area where people jog, you should blend in w/ them.

ElTam

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 12:49 pm
Not sure if this is an option for you, but my DH found a very nice used treadmill for $100 and we have it in the basement, so I can wear what I want and no one sees me.

uandme

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 3:26 pm
and what about shooting baskets?

stem

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 4:16 pm
I think it depends where you live. If you live in a seriously Chareidi neighborhood in Israel, then I wouldn't (as a married woman) dare shoot baskets in front of the neighbors, or roller blade or run in the street (except if you're running for a bus of course. Rolling Eyes )
If you live out of town where everyone does their own thing and no one cares either way, and the streets are empty at an early hour, and you're dressed tsnius obviously, then why not? Is jogging different than power-walking? What
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise