Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Our live-in eats us out of everything we buy

mrsmommy8

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 4:50 pm
We have a wonderful live in who we can’t complain about-Except for the fact that she helps herself to everything she sees. If I buy a large danish danish cake- it’s gone in two days, before anyone even got to it. A pack of croissants for the family, gone. She doesn’t eat much when I serve meals, but rather the nosh kinda stuff. I bh have a large family and try to keep my shopping to twice a week. But besides for this, how can I keep shopping for my family if everything is eaten before we get to it? I don’t want to sound cheap or offend her…what can I do without having to buy double of everything?! As a side, I caught her several times on camera eating with her hands or double dipping with her fork. It’s so gross. I’ve discussed it with her but she’s still set glob her ways. Any advice?

Stars

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 4:54 pm
That’s not ok. If she can’t handle a conversation about it you’ll need to replace her

groisamomma

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 4:54 pm
Ew. There's no way I'd let my kids eat from something she ate from, knowing that she might have left some saliva in there.

I don't have practical advice beyond saying get a new live-in but I'm sure you've already thought of that and can't switch if you're keeping her.

mha3484

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 4:55 pm
I have a similar situation but not a live in, someone else. It's really complicated. I have a fridge in my room its between mini and standard size and my door has a code lock on it. I keep a lot of stuff in there that I don't want for public consumption and its reduced so much stress since I did it.

cookiewriter

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 4:58 pm
I’d be happy she’s eating the cheap junk and not the expensive veggies and protein. You have to feed her SOMETHING. Mine wants yogurts smoothies avocados chicken fish and salads. So be happy! Just buy more of that stuff . The double dipping is horrifying. That has to stop. Or alternatively, you stop looking at the cameras.

reality mom

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 4:58 pm
Hide it!!

tichellady

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 9:45 pm
I wouldn't worry about sharing germs with someone who lives in your house. you already are sharing germs by living in the same house. I also don't see the issue with eating with her hands. it's cultural. in some cultures it's gross to use utensils.

just talk about the food. ask her what she wants to eat or if she wants to do her own shopping. you can tell her you will put a post it note on things you are saving for a special occasion. buying her more cake or croissants is a lot cheaper than buying her real food, if that's what she wants just buy double. you can tell her she needs to do her own shopping or shopping list each week so you can buy the right amount for everyone. you can be very specific if she isn't :" would you like me to buy more of this cake etc, is there a type of bread you like, any fruit, any deli, etc?"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics