Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to keep ponytail neat?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 12:19 am
My 4 year old daughter's hair is always coming out of her ponytail/pigtails in the front. I'm sure I'm missing some trick that everyone else uses to keep the hair in place. Please help!

my mama

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 12:28 am
Hairspray/hair gel
Or maybe try different ponytail holders.

What is her hair texture like?

amother
Raspberry

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 1:21 am
Following.

Gel or mouse just makes it nice for when I make her hair but does not last long.
I don't want to send her to school with headbands or clips I've lost too many already .

I do a side part with a side pony on top on opposite side and then a regular pony (or bun, braid, twist, etc) which helps.

If I really have time (not too often...) I'll do a middle part with a mini braid on each side and then a pony.
Or just a side pony on each side (like babies have) plus a regular pony.

amother
Gardenia

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 2:56 am
When I have time I use mini elastics and do 2 small ponys on the side of the head near the front, which holds nicely the front hairs, then I tie it all back with a regular pony holder.
I do make it tight because otherwise it doesn't stay.

Iymnok

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 3:05 am
A half pony. It’s those shorter hairs in front that make the problems. One or two ponys in front and attach them to a regular one in back if you want.

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 7:49 am
I do a half pony on one side (I follow the cowlicks) and then put the whole thing into a pony. I find it holds better because all the hairs are different lengths.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 8:35 am
You might need different types of pony tail holders, some hold hair better than others. What works best depends on what type of hair your child has.

chili-n-cholent

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 8:58 am
Agree with all the suggestions of extra ponies.
Besides for that, the prep before makes a difference. I don't know her hairtype but if she has wavy to curly hair, make sure it's decently wet in the morning before making her hair. You can just wet the front as that's important. Then generously spray this https://www.target.com/p/garni.....aw.ds
Brush the top smooth with any bristle brush, NOT a brush with teeth for example this one from goody is great https://www.amazon.com/Goody-S.....;th=1
That helps to create a really smooth top that should hopefully help keep in the flyaways for longer.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 10:13 pm
Thanks so much everyone! I'm going to try the side ponies and also wetting her hair while brushing.
She has thin straight hair and the front hairs are just naturally much shorter than the rest of her just-below shoulder-length hair - and end up covering her eyes when they come out of her pony.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics