Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Stokke Tripp Trapp

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 7:07 am
Is it really worth the price? I have a baby and toddler and thinking of getting two. I live in a small appartment so I'm thinking these use less space than a regular highchair? And will then use it as a regular kids chair. If you recommend it, what "accessories" do I need for baby? And the tray is expensive! I was thinking I need 3 - 1 for Meaty, 1 for Milky and 1 for Pesach? Does that make sense?
TIA!

amother
Plum

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 8:03 am
They definitely do not use less space. If space is tight do what we did: get one do those high chairs that attach to seat of existing chair. It grows with baby and becomes booster seat as they are ready for it. Fisher price has several You’ll also save hundreds of dollars.

boysrock

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 8:12 am
The ikea one is small and very cheap

yidisheh mama

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 8:19 am
amother OP wrote:
Is it really worth the price? I have a baby and toddler and thinking of getting two. I live in a small appartment so I'm thinking these use less space than a regular highchair? And will then use it as a regular kids chair. If you recommend it, what "accessories" do I need for baby? And the tray is expensive! I was thinking I need 3 - 1 for Meaty, 1 for Milky and 1 for Pesach? Does that make sense?
TIA!

I don't have a tripp trapp chair, so can't answer on that. But in general, ask a shaila about separate trays. I was told (by a chassidish dayan that is also a very accepted ba'al machsher) that a highchair doesn't need separate trays for meat and dairy because you never put boiling hot food for baby there. Just make sure not to clean with boiling water.
For pesach, I clean it really well, then cover with saran wrap and tape a piece of corrugated plastic I cut to size. Not perfect, but it works.

amother
Chestnut

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 8:22 am
We live in a tiny apartment and used the Tripp Trapp for years. It was greatand not prucey because I got one second hand in perfect condition. I know they make with trays but we never used a tray because the whole point it to save space by pushing it against regular table. Got years and years of use out of it.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 8:27 am
boysrock wrote:

The tray isn't adjustable though which means there's a gap between the kid and the tray for food to fall all over them and their clothing

Highly reccomend a booster seat that goes into a chair. We have a chicco one.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 8:28 am
yidisheh mama wrote:
I don't have a tripp trapp chair, so can't answer on that. But in general, ask a shaila about separate trays. I was told (by a chassidish dayan that is also a very accepted ba'al machsher) that a highchair doesn't need separate trays for meat and dairy because you never put boiling hot food for baby there. Just make sure not to clean with boiling water.
For pesach, I clean it really well, then cover with saran wrap and tape a piece of corrugated plastic I cut to size. Not perfect, but it works.

I was told by my yeshivish Rav that we didn't even need a Pesach tray either because you don't put boiling hot food there. Just clean very very well.

amother
Fern

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 8:51 am
Never had more than 1 high chair tray.

I'm not familiar with this particular high chair but my general baby gear advice is not to purchase anything with the hopes of using it later for a different purpose. So I wouldn't spend more on a high chair that will later be used as chairs because things change & there's a nice chance you won't want it years later as chairs.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 8:59 am
Thanks so much everyone!
Re: saving space, I'd use them instead of two dining room chairs (we don't have space to eat in the kitchen). For that reason I'd want something that also looks nice.
Interesting to know about the trays, I'll definitely ask our rav. I know they take up way less space without tray but I usually have a tablecloth on the table which means a lot of fun for my lo Wink Wink I'd use the tray just for mealtimes and remove in between.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 9:01 am
amother Chestnut wrote:
We live in a tiny apartment and used the Tripp Trapp for years. It was greatand not prucey because I got one second hand in perfect condition. I know they make with trays but we never used a tray because the whole point it to save space by pushing it against regular table. Got years and years of use out of it.

Yes I'm planning on getting second hand.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 9:03 am
boysrock wrote:

I have it now but find it quite bulky.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 9:17 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks so much everyone!
Re: saving space, I'd use them instead of two dining room chairs (we don't have space to eat in the kitchen). For that reason I'd want something that also looks nice.
Interesting to know about the trays, I'll definitely ask our rav. I know they take up way less space without tray but I usually have a tablecloth on the table which means a lot of fun for my lo Wink Wink I'd use the tray just for mealtimes and remove in between.

I totally hear. Honestly if I lived in the USA I'd probably be splurging on a second hand one. I think the ergonomics and way it's made it so much better for kids and love how it can be adjusted fully in so many ways and is good for toddlers and kids.

I've rarely ever seen someone sell a second hand one in Israel and if they do it's still really really expensive. I assume in the USA they are easier to come by and aren't as expensive.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 10:49 am
I have it and I really don't like it. It's sooooo hard to clean and also really hard to adjust so we just never do. I'd skip.

mushkamothers

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 11:54 am
I am a huggeeee fan. I have one for each kid, all bought secondhand, and we're still using it at age 6.

They're super easy to wipe down. I should say I hate high chairs with a passion, they just gross me out. I don't use trays - push right up to the table. I had the cushion for a bit and got rid of it because ew. I don't even use the straps. For a baby I do use the bucket seat attachment and then by about 10 months I teach them to climb in and out and by 12m the bucket seat is out.

Definitely getting our money's worth, yes they do replace regular chairs, and the ergonomic position is amazing too.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 12:15 pm
Thanks everyone! One more question: my now 17 month old hates her (ikea) high chair so I just let her sit on a regular chair (she's on her knees and can reach the table that way). She's not super balanced so I'm a bit nervous letting her sit on the Tripp Trapp without the bucket seat but she'd definitely refuse to sit in it. I saw secondhand just a grab bar type of thing with a leather piece for between the legs. Anyone have it/know what I'm talking about? Is it compatible with the newer model? (Seems to be something older as I don't see it on the Stokke website.)

dilego

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 5:17 am
I bought mine 18 yrs ago 2nd hand and it was and is the best used thing now for the grandchildren. No tray just the bar and a pillow came with it.
It definetly is safer than the booster on the d.roomchair. sorry

amother
Offwhite

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 6:10 am
I don’t have the stokke, but a similar style highchair and I love it.
My only regret is not getting the stokke because they’re better quality than the brand I have. But it’s the same concept.
We use it at the table as soon as the baby can sit in it. Mine does have a bar with the strap between the legs that I use at the beginning.
I love having the baby sit with us at the table - they learn so much about eating from sitting with the family at meal times. (My 12 month old can feed himself with a fork and spoon)
I love the adjustable options, my kids sit so much better if they have somewhere stable to put their feet.
I think your 17 month old would get used to it very quickly and like it because of the stability it gives, putting them at the right height at the table.

My 7 year old was still using it everyday when we had to adjust it for my baby.

If I would get a tray, I might get one, just for the times I’m doing something else and want to have the baby next to me if he’s eating or something (or I don’t want to wipe down the table again…)

icedcoffee

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 8:28 am
I have it and love it. It does theoretically slide under the table like a regular chair, but with the baby set/tray, it doesn't fit (unless you take them off every time). So it does take up more precious space than I'd like in my apartment, but it's worth it to me. It's SO easy to clean - not sure why someone said it's hard? It's literally flat smooth surfaces all over. We previously had a peg perego with a cushioned seat that was a nightmare every single night because crumbs would get in every soft crevice. This one wipes clean in like 20 seconds. I also love that when my baby gets a bit older he can use it to sit with us at the regular table instead of needing a little toddler-sized chair+table -- that's an investment in saving space later on for me Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics