Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Important awareness regarding crossing the street
Previous  1  2

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 4:33 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
Simple solution:
Cross at crosswalks, and only when it is your light!!

Not all crosswalks have street lights. It would be nice to be able to rely on STOP signs but unfortunately most drivers ignore them.
I've seen men push their strollers in to the street also, I'm not sure why the PSA's about this are always for women.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 5:12 pm
amother Pearl wrote:
Not all crosswalks have street lights. It would be nice to be able to rely on STOP signs but unfortunately most drivers ignore them.
I've seen men push their strollers in to the street also, I'm not sure why the PSA's about this are always for women.

Where do you see me specifying women? It applies to everyone. But the audience here is women only & it's an important awareness, not something to get defensive about.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 5:35 pm
amother Aconite wrote:
Does anyone do the second option?

Does anyone not ?? I’m so confused . People knowingly push their baby stroller between two cars without checking first ??

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 5:41 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Does anyone not ?? I’m so confused . People knowingly push their baby stroller between two cars without checking first ??

Quote:
Or leave the baby on the sidewalk, look for cars, go back and get the baby and cross.

I've never seen this - which is why I asked.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 5:58 pm
amother Pearl wrote:

What good would it do to make a PSA for men here?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 5:59 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:

Unfortunately yes, they do. Hence the need for this post.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 6:01 pm
amother Aconite wrote:
How do you safely determine its safe to cross the street if your starting point is between two parked cars and you are pushing a stroller?

I pass in front of my stroller, peek out, then bring stroller and me across the street. Yes, I peek my head out first. For a second my stroller is to the side of me or slightly in back or all the way in back of me depending on how close together the cars are.

amother
Peru

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 6:06 pm
amother Pearl wrote:

Well, this is a site for women only, so who else would these PSAs be for?

amother
Cinnamon

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 6:45 pm
I often see it at corners too. Moms standing waiting for their light to turn green, and the stroller is on the gutter. I dont drive either, I was passing by and looking at the traffic, bec. EVERY single car was beeping while zooming by, but the woman at the corner was oblivious until I told her the carriage is in a dangerous spot. They're not consciously putting their babies in danger. They care very much about their babies. They just dont realize what they're doing.

amother
Tomato

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 7:57 pm
Can someone explain where the word gutter comes from?
Like how does that mean the street?

No offense, I use it too, bec I need my child to understand when others say it. Is it a chasidish thing?

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 8:00 pm
amother Tomato wrote:

No offense, I use it too, bec I need my child to understand when others say it. Is it a chasidish thing?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik.....cles.

bsy

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 8:06 pm
amother Tomato wrote:

I've only heard it used by chassidish people in NY

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 8:14 pm
amother Tomato wrote:

It's the word that Brooklyn people use for road. Instead of road, they say gutter.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 8:15 pm
bsy wrote:
I've only heard it used by chassidish people in NY

It's a Brooklyn thing. I heard it from chassidish and non chassidish alike. I alot of family in Flatbush, they say gutter.

amother
Tomato

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 8:19 pm
singleagain wrote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_gutter#:~:text=A%20street%20gutter%20is%20a,of%20hydroplaning%20by%20road%20vehicles.

Interesting. I never thought into what the street drainage is called. Only roof rainwater. Curious tho why it became a word.
Ty!

mfb

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 8:19 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
If I am unable see and make ete contact with driver I turn carriage around and walk into street myself with carriage backwards behind me. When travel training children thus is a hot item we discuss!
Unfortunately we do know of children thrown from carriage under vehicles because they where in gutter while an " adult " was looking for cars or crossing..

This is what I do if I can’t safely see if cars are coming. I turn around the carriage so that I am in the street while the kids are safe

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 8:46 pm
amother Tomato wrote:

I see others responded about it being a NY, Brooklyn, or chassidish thing. I have to disagree. I grew up in Miami, and we called the drainage holes gutters. The street was called the street.

bsy

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 8:59 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I see others responded about it being a NY, Brooklyn, or chassidish thing. I have to disagree. I grew up in Miami, and we called the drainage holes gutters. The street was called the street.

In Brooklyn, many ppl call the street the gutter. They don't say street.

Last edited by bsy on Mon, Jun 05 2023, 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 9:40 pm
bsy wrote:
In Brooklyn, many ppl called the street the gutter. They don't say street.

Granted I don’t know a ton of people from Brooklyn, but I don’t know anyone who calls the street a gutter.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics